British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of All Saints, Laughton

Description: Church of All Saints

Grade: I
Date Listed: 16 December 1964
English Heritage Building ID: 196833

OS Grid Reference: SK8491197300
OS Grid Coordinates: 484911, 397300
Latitude/Longitude: 53.4656, -0.7224

Location: Church Road, Laughton, Lincolnshire DN21 3PP

Locality: Laughton
Local Authority: West Lindsey District Council
County: Lincolnshire
Country: England
Postcode: DN21 3PP

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Laughton, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text


4/23 Church of
All Saints

G.V. I

Parish Church. C12, C13, C14, C15, C16, with 1894 restoration
and chancel rebuilding of 1894 by Bodley and Garner. Coursed
limestone rubble, ashlar and lead roofs. Western tower, nave,
north and south aisles, chancel, south porch and vestry. The C14
3 stage tower has a plinth, 2 moulded string courses and
embattled parapet with angle and mid wall pinnacles with
grotesque water chutes beneath; there are corner buttresses to
1st stage only. The pointed west door is in a moulded surround
with hood mould and human head stops. To 1st floor is a C16 3
light window with concave moulded reveal and hood mould. Above
this is a plain narrow light and an open face clock to 2nd stage.
The belfry stage has 2 light cusped ogee headed, louvred openings
with chamfered reveals, hood mould, and human head stops to each
face of the tower. The north side has the stair tower in the
north east angle. The north aisle has a C15 3 light window
flanked by single 2 light windows with ogee heads and flat hood
moulds over. The clerestorey has 3 paired lights also with flat
hood moulds. The C19 vestry has a parapet, a 4 light window and
a pointed doorway. In the north wall of the chancel is a 3 light
C13 geometric window moved from the east end in the restoration.
The east end of the chancel is blank except for an empty ogee
headed niche flanked by single shields containing the sacred
nomogram. The south side of the chancel is in ashlar with 3 bays,
divided by buttresses, containing 3 light C19 curvilinear windows
with unusual surrounds with fleurons. Beneath the windows is a
priest's door. The C15 east window of the south aisle has 3
lights with trefoil heads and 2 tiers of paired mouchettes with
flat hood mould and human head stops. The fenestration of the
south aisle is similar to the north aisle. The clerestorey has 3
two light windows with cusped trilobe heads, flat hood moulds and
chamfered reveals. The C19 porch has a stepped parapet
containing an empty niche above a 3 centred arched entrance.
The inner doorway is in a restored late C13 opening with angle
shafts,floriate capitals, circular abaci and roll moulding to
head. The hood mould is C19. Interior; the late C12 north
arcade of 4 bays with the westernmost bay a nearly contemporary
addition. The circular piers have curious shaped and mouldd
abaci, waterleaf and other foliate capitals and double chamfered
arches. The west respond is in the form of a bracket with 3
scrolled corbels, The C13 south arcade of 4 bays has octagonal
piers and capitals with 2 chamfered orders. The hood mould has 2
surviving human head stops. The C14 tower arch is of 2 chamfered
orders dying into its reveals. In the base of the tower is a C14
panelled door to the stairs. The chancel arch was removed during
the C19 restoration. In the south aisle is a C13 half engaged
pillar piscina with octagonal head and base and pointed recess.
In the north aisle and chancel are C19 moulded doorways to the
vestry. At the east end is a carved stone reredos with a painted
panelled triptych by G. Jackson of 1903. The timber roofs date
from the C19 restoration with their elaborate painted designs but
the nave roof has one reused boss. The chancel screen and
painted and gilded rood also date from Bodley and Garners work as
do the other fittings including the fine cast iron candelabrum
in the chancel. The stained glass is by Burlison and Grylls and
was not completed until 1926. Monuments; in the south aisle is
a roundel containing a recut female head dating to c.1300, and a
C14 full length brass to a member of the D'Alison family showing
the deceased in plate armour, feet on a lion, beneath an ogee
canopy. The brass was reset in c.1549 above the tomb chest of
William and George D'Alison. The chest has blank lozenge panels
with a wide scroll along each side with a blank lead
inscription. In the north aisle is a tomb to Hugo Meynell
Ingrams, a marble effigy asleep by Thomas Woolner d.1874. A
white marble plaque of the Meynell arms is let into the chancel

Listing NGR: SK8491297300

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.