If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of All Saints
Date Listed: 30 November 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 196908
OS Grid Reference: TF0077175323
OS Grid Coordinates: 500771, 375323
Latitude/Longitude: 53.2653, -0.4906
There is also a scheduled monument, Bishop's Manor: the Remains of a Medieval Bishop's Palace, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
Explore more of the area around Nettleham, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.
TF 07 NW NETTLEHAM CHURCH STREET
5/36 Church of All
Parish church. Early and mid C13, C14, C15, C16, C18, 1889
restoration by Bodley and Garner. Coursed and squared limestone
rubble with lead roofs. Western tower, clerestoried nave, 2
aisles, south porch, chancel and former north chapel now vestry.
The 3 stage C13 tower has 2 moulded string courses, a C15
battlemented parapet with corner crocketed pinnacles and stepped
clasping buttresses. On the south side is a blocked C13 double
chamfered arch with octagonal responds and capitals. In the 2nd
stage is a rectangular light and an open face clock. To the
belfry stage on all faces are paired 2 light pointed openings
with circular responds, nook shafts, annular capitals with
hobnail decoration, under a pointed arch with hood mould. The
west face has single tall lancets to first and second stage and a
small stair lancet. The north aisle has a C19 west lancet and
is in squared coursed limestone rubble with 3 two light C19
windows with cusped heads and a plain north door in C19 opening.
The vestry has a 2 light plain window and a C19 door in pointed
opening. The clerestorey has 3 two light windows with cinquefoil
cusped heads, flat arches and hood moulds with beast head labels.
The chancel, rebuilt in 1889 by Bodley and Garner, is in squared
limestone rubble, has a 3 light north window. The 5 light east
window has C14 style ogee tracery and on the south side are 2
further C14 style 3 light windows. The south aisle has a C19 3
light east window in a C15 surround. The 2 C14 south windows are
of 3 lights with ogee heads, in flat arches with hood moulds and
human head labels. The clerestorey matches that on the north.
The south aisle west window is a C19 lancet. The south porch is
late C18 with plain pointed opening and side benches. The C13
inner doorway has a triple chamfered arch with hood mould having
floriate stops, paired nook shafts with floriate annular
capitals. The door is C19 with carved panels. Interior: The
north and south arcades are of 3 bays, the easterly pairs of bays
are mid C13 with attached clustered shafts terminating in stiff
leaf capitals with circular abacii, double chamfered arches and
hood moulds. The westernmost arches are early C13 with simple
half round reveals, circular moulded capitals and double
chamfered arches with hood moulds. The tower arch matches these
westerly bays and has attached semi-circular reveals with nook
shafts and a double chamfered arch with roll moulding between the
chamfers. Inside the tower double chamfered arches open into the
aisles, that to the south is now blocked. The tower west window
has a double rear arch. Buttresses project into the aisle spaces
with chamfered angles terminating in foliate stops. The mid C13
chancel arch has attached shafts with bold stiff leaf capitals
and double chamfered arch with moulded hood. In the south aisle
is a C13 piscina with pointed arch and 2 statue brackets are in
the east wall. In the north aisle is a C14 double chamfered arch
to the former north chapel, with octagonal responds and capitals.
The C19 nave roof is arch braced but the south aisle has a C16
roof with massive tie beams and staggered butt purlins. In the
chancel north wall is a broad C19 opening with cambered head to
the vestry and beyond a C19 recut C14 doorway. In the south wall
is an elaborate C19 sedilia and piscina with a re-used C15
kneeling angel finial. The C20 altar incorporates the medieval
altar stone with consecration crosses. In the spandrels of the
nave arcades are substantial fragments of an elaborate C13 scheme
of painted decoration with foliate roundels, flowers and
chequered border. The aisles have late C17 softwood panelling.
The altar rails and table in the south aisle are of a similar
date. The octagonal C19 font is a good quality copy of a late
medieval original. In the nave are 2 fine early C18 candelabra.
In the chancel and south aisle is late C19 stained glass.
Monuments: in the south aisle is a limestone wall plaque to
Dorothy Nethercootes, died 1603, a rectangular panel with
settings for semi precious stones, surmounted by 2 obelisks and a
circular panel of arms. At the west end of the north aisle are 2
painted benefaction boards dated 1786 and 1787.
Listing NGR: TF0076875324
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.