If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Hilary
Date Listed: 30 November 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 196942
OS Grid Reference: TF0079684535
OS Grid Coordinates: 500796, 384535
Latitude/Longitude: 53.3481, -0.4873
Explore more of the area around Spridlington, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.
TF 08 SW SPRIDLINGTON CHURCH HILL
2/71 Church of
Parish church. 1875 by James Fowler of Louth. Coursed limestone
rubble with ashlar dressings, plain tiled roof having stone coped
gables and crosses fleury. At the north west angle of the nave
is an entrance tower, nave and chancel are undivided. The church
is all in the late C13 style with plinth, moulded string courses
and stepped buttresses. The west end of the nave has 3 pairs of
2 light windows with quatrefoils over and a continuous hood
mould. Above is a large circular window with 8 quatrefoils
arranged around a central cusped light. In the gable is a small
trefoil headed light. The north west tower, is in the form of a
campanile, in 4 stages with a gabled roof with gargoyles to the
angles of the tower. The west elevation has single windows to
ground and first floor. The belfry stage has tall paired louvred
lights with blank arches beneath and quatrefoils over. To the
gables are single pointed lights and above a low relief cross.
The north side of the tower has a door in a C13 style with triple
shafts to the reveals, a moulded head and is flanked by single
narrow blank arches, the outer reveals of which are wall shafts
springing from corbels with grotesque beasts on the underside.
Above the door a trefoil headed niche contains a carving of the
Good Shepherd with side shafts supporting a canopy bearing the
Sacred Monogram with floriated top. Above again is an open face
clock. The east side of the tower matches the west but also has
a facetted projecting stair turret. The nave has 2 paired
windows with quatrefoil, hood moulds and label stops. The
chancel has a priests' door with single nook shafts, moulded head
and hood mould. In the tympanum is a half length carving of St.
Hilary as a Bishop holding a bible, with a Greek inscription.
Above, to either side, are single trefoil headed lights. The
east window is 3 light with trilobed heads, central sexfoil with
cusped margins to circular frame, flanked by single trefoils.
Above in the gable is a single trefoil beaded light. In the
plinth is the foundation stone dated '1874'. The south side
matches the north apart from one additional 2 light window and a
projection for the organ. Interior. In the tower is a vestibule
with panelled ceiling, it contains the stair door and pointed
headed inner doorway with moulded head and pierced geometric
decoration in the tympanum, featuring stained glass panels. The
chancel is divided from the nave by a low stone cancellum screen,
in the centre of which are fine wrought iron gates with scrolls
and leafed terminals. The nave roof is an open arch braced type
which as it enters the chancel is boarded in with painted panels
bearing the sacred monogram in Latin and Greek. The moulded wall
plate is interrupted by carved human head corbels at the feet of
the principals. Fittings. Vestry screen, organ screen, pulpit,
choir stalls, readers desk, all have intersecting arcades,
foliage and angels, in C13 style. The fine reredos and altar are
in painted and gilded wood, with ogee arches. The organ is
painted to match. The octagonal font has quatrefoils and
triangles in the upper panels; the wooden lid has elaborate
wrought iron mountings. Monuments. On the south wall of the
nave is a wall tablet with cross and sabre to F. Hutton d.1864.
At the west end is a cast bronze portrait plaque to Michael
Hutton k.1941. Also a square brass plaque recording the
consecreation of the Church in 1875 to the memory of Rev. Henry
Listing NGR: TF0079684535
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.