If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Helen
Date Listed: 16 December 1964
English Heritage Building ID: 197080
OS Grid Reference: SK8308286678
OS Grid Coordinates: 483082, 386678
Latitude/Longitude: 53.3704, -0.7528
Explore more of the area around Lea, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.
SK 88 NW LEA WILLINGHAM ROAD
1/33 Church of
16.12.64 St. Helen
Parish church. C13, C14, C15, restored 1849 by J. L. Pearson.
Coursed limestone rubble, blue lias rubble, limestone ashlar.
Plain tiled roofs with coped gables and cross finials. West
tower, nave with south porch and large north aisle, south
transept and rectangular chancel. C15 west tower of 4 stages
with plinth and angle buttresses. Large pointed west window with
deeply moulded surround, 3 cusped lights with pointed and
vertical tracery above, hood mould and north head label stop.
Clock above. Small rectangular staircase lights to south of-west
front. North and south sides with small single rectangular
lights under bell stage string course. Bell openings on all 4
sides, each with pointed head, 2 cusped pointed- openings,
vertical tracery and hood mould. Moulded eaves above with 2
projecting animal gargoyles on both north and south sides.
Battlements and 8 ornate pinnacles above. Large early C14 north
aisle with heavily moulded plinth, battlements and 8 ornate
pinnacles. West window with pointed head, moulded surround, 2
ogee headed cusped lights withquatrefoil and mouchettes. Large
2 stage diagonal buttress. North side with 2 rectangular
windows, each of 3 cusped, ogee headed lights with vertical
tracery, alternating with 2 stage buttresses. East end north
aisle with large pointed window with moulded surround, 3 cusped
lights and tracery. East end of chancel with 2 C19 ashlar
dressed lancets with continuous hood moulds and large cusped
oculus above. South side of chancel with small pointed early C13
window with 2pointed lights and plate tracery. C19 south
transept with small turreted bulge in corner of aisle and
transept. South side of transept with pointed, 2 light window
with cusped oculus and hood mould. South side of nave with 2
pointed C14 windows partly restored in C19-, each with 2 pointed
cusped lights, quatrefoil, hood--mould and--head label stops.
South porch restored in C19 with large C14 ogee headed doorway
with ornate cusping, double chamfered jambs, hood mould and
ornate finial. Porch interior flanked by stone benches with C19
pointed doorway with moulded head and jambs in one with ball
flower, hood mould, ornate label stops and plank door. C13 tower
arch with large pointed chamfered head with large keeled responds
and keeled capitals. Early C13 north arcade of 2 bays with
double chamfered pointed heads, octagonal pier and polygonal
responds. C19 chancel arch with moulded, pointed head and
responds with 3 clustered shafts with shaft rings. C13 arch to
south transept re-opened in C19 with double chamfered pointed
head supported on ornate corbels with lion and human corbels.
Small C19 cusped ogee headed doorway to east with chamfered
surround. C13 aumbry leading from chancel to north aisle with
double chamfered pointed head, inner order supported on large
corbel heads, doorway to east with Caernarvon head to north and
cusped ogee head to south. Rectangular aumbry in north wall of
chancel. East window of chancel with C19 nook shafts, shaft
rings and chipstar decoration. C13 pointed piscina in south wall
of chancel. Large effigy of cross-legged knight, Sir Ralph
Trehampton, of c1300, painted in C20. C14 piscina on east wall
of north aisle with ogee cupsed head and corbel above holding
large C19 angel. East window of north aisle with stained glass
of c,1330 with fragmentary crucifixion, bishop Grosseteste,
various heads and architectural. features. C19 pews, wagon roofs,
font, lectern, altar rails, chairs and C20 ornate screen.
Monument on north wall of north aisle to Mary Anderson, died
1636, in black and white marble, gold leaf, cartouche with coat
of arms, broken pediment, flowered bands and ornate apron.
Flanked by 2 similar grey and white monuments to Sir William
Anderson, died 1785 and Lady Anderson 1798. Further east a
black and white triangular marble monument with urn to Catherine
Shuldham, died 1797. Memorial on south pier to Francis Anderson,
died 1881 with map showing position of his burial at sea near the'
Ascension Islands. Several C19 monuments.
Listing NGR: SK8307886678
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.