If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Edith
Date Listed: 16 December 1964
English Heritage Building ID: 197099
OS Grid Reference: SK9080683096
OS Grid Coordinates: 490806, 383096
Latitude/Longitude: 53.3370, -0.6377
There is also a scheduled monument, Coates Medieval Settlement and Moated Site, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
Explore more of the area around Stow, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.
SK 98 SW STOW COATES LANE
5/52 Church of
16.12.64 St. Edith
Church. Mid C12, early C13, C15, restored 1883-4 by J. L.
Pearson. Coursed limestone rubble, limestone ashlar. Plain
tiled roof with west bell turret with 2 barely pointed openings
and flat head, timber framed east gable. West end with blocked
C13 tower arch with chamfered jambs, abaci and pointed head. C19
rectangular window inserted, of 2 lights. Archway flanked by 3
stage pilaster buttresses. North side of nave with blocked C15
doorway with rectangular head and chamfered surround. Blocked
narrow rectangular opening to east with rectangular C15 window
beyond with 3 round headed lights and rectangular hood mould.
C15 window to east with 4 centred head with 2 ornately cusped
lights with hood mould. C15 window to east with shallow
triangular head and 3 cusped, pointed lights. C12 round headed
narrow light, re-opened in C19, beyond. East end with 2 C19
small round headed lights with timber frame tie-beams and
studding embedded in gable above. South side with 2 rectangular
C15 windows to east each with 2 pointed cusped lights with
continuous central mullion flanked by 4 cusped mouchettes.
Blocked doorway in between with rectangular head and chamfered
surround. 2 tiny key-hole shaped openings lighting internal
staircase to rood loft. C12 round headed doorway to west of 2
chamfered orders with round head with large, bold chip star
decoration on outer order and hood mould. Plank doors. C13
interior tower arch with pointed head and chamfered abaci. To
east of south doorway a round headed moulded aumbry. C15 tie beam
roof over nave, C20 panelled ceiling over chancel. C12 round
stone font on rectangular base. C17 box pew with ornate finials
and panels decorated with lunettes and flower heads. Poor box
attached. Charles I coat of arms. 7 C15 bench ends with
poppyhead finials and elbow rests. Cmpulpit with panelled
sides with rosettes, cusps and pointed tracery. C15 rood screen
and loft. Central archway with hinged door. Rich blind
traceried panels, with upper open traceried panels with flower
heads. Rich band of fruit and foliage. Rood stair in south wall
with segmental head leading to loft with traceried coving,
parapet and canted central projection for rood. Cusped tomb
opening in north wall of nave. North wall of chancel with
blocked, fragmentary C13 Easter Sepulchre with segmental arch and
2 small panels with 2 reliefs, one of the Resurrectrion the
other, the winged lion of St. Matthew. Ashlar plaque inserted to
left with brass monument inserted to Anthony Butler, died 1673.
South wall with marble plaque with round headed brass to east,
with Charles Butler, died 1602, and his wife flanking altar in
prayer, with 3 coats of arms above and 5 sons and 3 daughters
below, some holding skulls. To west, a limestone slab with brass
of William Butler, his wife and infant daughter still in "chrison
robe', died 1509. Coats of arms above. Alabaster monument to
west of Brian Cooke of Doncaster, died 1653. Central bust with
high ruff, pleated sleeves and pointed beard. Plaque below and
ornate pilastered crown with coat of arms and richly carved fruit
and flowers. 2 small C15 stools. C15 chest with stylized
foliage and panelled lid. Pre-reformation altar slab with
consecration crosses on C20 oak frame. Fragment of glass in
north-east window of nave with coat of arms and date of 1597.
Other C16 fragments in south-east window of nave. Alabaster tomb
slab in nave with illegible inscription. Only intact rood screen
and loft in Lincolnshire. Quiney, pp. 247.
Listing NGR: SK9080683096
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.