British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of All Saints, Moulton

Description: Church of All Saints

Grade: I
Date Listed: 7 February 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 198065

OS Grid Reference: TF3071024115
OS Grid Coordinates: 530710, 324115
Latitude/Longitude: 52.7988, -0.0627

Location: 10 High Street, Moulton, Lincolnshire PE12 6QB

Locality: Moulton
Local Authority: South Holland District Council
County: Lincolnshire
Country: England
Postcode: PE12 6QB

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Moulton, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

TF 32 SW (east side)

9/103 Church of
7.2.67 All Saints

G.V. I

Parish church. c.1180, c.1200, mid C14, late C15, 1777, restored
1867. Limestone ashlar, some red brick. Lead and slate roofs
with stone coped gables with eastern cross finial. West tower
with spire, nave with north and south aisles, south porch and
clerestorey, chancel with north organ chamber. 4 stage mid C14
tower partially remodelled in the late C15. Moulded plinth and 6
stage angle buttresses, the second stages with niches, each with
crocketed and finialled gables supported on head label stops;
inner cusped nodding ogee arches and slender columnar pedestals.
2 storey stair turret to north-east with 2 slit lights. Pointed
west doorway, with continuous deeply moulded surround, hood mould
and double plank doors. Castellated string course above.
Pointed late C15 window above with bowtell moulded surround, 4
lights with foliate transom, lower semi-circular headedlights,
upper ogee cusped lights, panel tracery, hood mould and lion head
label stops. North and south sides each with C15 triangular
headed window with bowtell moulded surround, 2 cusped ogee headed
lights, panel tracery and hood mould with grotesque head label
stops. Above the west window a clock breaks into an ornate C14
blind arcade with inner cusped, ogee nodding arches and outer
curved crocketed and finialled gables which are carried across
the buttresses on each side and are supported on grotesque heads
and slender columns. North and south sides with single
triangular headed windows each with 2 cusped ogee headed lights,
transom, hood mould and head label stops. East side with the
outline of the C15 nave roof. Bell stage with bell openings on
all 4 sides, each with a pointed head, 2 ogee headed lights with
castellated transom and lower semi-circular headed lights, hood
mould and head label stops. Cusped diamond frieze above and
moulded eaves with small sculptural motifs and projecting
gargoyles. Battlements with ornate corner pinnacles. Slender
crocketed flyers reach up to the crocketed C14 octagonal spire
with 3 tiers of ornate lucarnes on alternating sides (related in
design to the blind arcade on the west front), and weathervane.
C12 north aisle heavily restored and extended to the east in the
C19. West end with fragmentary C12 roll moulded plinth. C15
west window with flattened triangular head, 3 cusped lights,
incipient panel tracery, hood mould and head label stops. North
side with regularly placed 2 stage buttresses and sill band.
Doorway of c.1180 with pointed head, continuous roll moulded
inner order, chamfered outer order supported on single slender
shafts with volute and foliate capitals; hood mould, head label
stops and double plank door. 2 windows to the right, and 3
windows to the left, all with pointed heads; 3 C19 cusped ogee
headed lights, flowing tracery and hood mould. C19 doorway
beyond to left giving access to organ chamber, with pointed head,
roll moulded surround, hood mould with head label stops, and
plank door. C19 east window with pointed head, 2 cusped, ogee
headed lights, flowing tracery and hood mould. Clerestorey of
c.1180 remodelled in late C15. 6 C15 windows are inserted into a
C12 blind arcade; the former with flattened triangular heads,
moulded surrounds and 2 semi-circular headed cusped lights; the
latter with groups of 2 or 3 blind, pointed openings with roll
moulded heads, capitals, large abaci but now without the
supporting shafts. Mid C14 chancel raised in C15 red brick and
now with moulded eaves and battlements. Pointed mid C15 window
in north side, with 3 pointed cusped lights, panel tracery and
hood mould. Fragmentary string course to left. Blocked pointed
doorway below to left and 2 rows of corbels beyond. East end
flanked by 3 stage diagonal buttress. Large pointed C19 window
with 5 pointed cusped lights, panel tracery, hood mould and head
label stops. C19 battlements, pinnacles and cross finial above.
South side of chancel with regularly placed, slender, 3 stage
buttresses and moulded plinth. C14 priest's doorway to left with
continuous moulded surround, flattened triangular head, hood
mould, head label stops and plank door. 2 C19 windows above to
the right with pointed heads, 3 cusped pointed lights, panel
tracery and hood mould. Single identical C15 window above to
left. C14 polygonal stair turret originally giving access to
rood loft inserted into re-entrant angle between chancel and
south aisle, with ornate quatrefoil and string course, slit
light, moulded eaves and battlements. South aisle refronted in
C19. Mid C14 east window with pointed head, 2 cusped ogee heads,
quatrefoil, hood mould and head label stops. Fragmentary string
course to left. 2 pointed C19 south windows, each with 3 cusped
pointed lights and 3 cusped oculi and hood mould. C19 gabled
porch to left with pointed doorway with deeply moulded head,
paired columns with ornate capitals, hood mould and foliate label
stops. Porch contains boiler, but inner doorway of c.1200
partially visible with steeply pointed head, roll moulded
surround, imposts and hood mould. 2 C19 windows to the west of
porch, each with four centred head, 3 cusped lights, incipient
panel tracery and C14 hood moulds. Similar mid C14 window in
west end of south aisle. Clerestory of c.1180 somewhat remodelled
in C15, with blind arcade with semi-circular, roll moulded heads
supported on clustered shafts with foliate capitals; and 7 C15
windows inserted, each beneath a moulded basket arch. Mid C14
very tall interior tower arch with continuous triple filleted
responds, castellated capitals, hood mould and label stops.
Tower interior with corbel busts supporting rib vault with
liernes, some tiercerons, central oculus and ornate bosses.
Triangular headed north doorway with continuously moulded
surround, hood mould, head label stops and plank door. 6 bay
north and south C12 arcades, the westernmost bay of which was the
original C12 tower; the original tower arch with broad
rectangular sections of the original outer walls, triple rolls,
the inner rolls being much taller, all with incipient stiff leaf
capitals. The south pier with blocked pointed opening in east
rectangular section. The next pair of piers to the east each
with 4 rolls, plain moulded north capital, crocket south capital.
Pair of round piers beyond, the north with incipient stiff leaf
capital, the south with crocket capital incorporating grotesque
heads. The next pair of piers to the east both with 4 large
rolls alternating with 4 slender rolls, both with crocket
capitals. Eastern responds of 3 large rolls alternating with
slender keeled shafts, both with incipient stiff leaf capitals.
C14 castellated pedestals for statues attached to four of the
piers. Mid C14 doorway to rear of south respond on the north
side, originally giving access to rood loft, with flattened
triangular head, continuously moulded surround, ogee hood mould
with partially intact crockets, large bust label stop to right
and similar bust to left broken through by late C14 rood screen
and bust in apex wearing pillbox cap. In a similar position on
north respond a rectangular C15 aumbry with fragmentary inner
corner shelf. A piscina of similar design in south aisle wall,
with chamfered surround, grotesque head shelf and shallow bowl
beneath. Pointed chancel arch, possibly of 1777, with curved
soffit containing large foliate motifs. Late C14 rood screen
heavily restored in C19, with 5 panels divided by slender
openwork buttresses, central cusped ogee head with busts and
foliate motifs on cusps, and pair of hinged panelled doors below.
Flanking panels with blind tracery below with lion heads, birds
eating corn, birds and griffons in spandrels. C19 ribbed coving
and ornate parapet above. North west chancel C15 window blocked
in C19, with organ pipes inserted in lights, panel tracery and
C19 four centred arch below. Fragmentary mid C14 Easter
Sepluchre on north wall with slight ogee head and suggestions of
sleeping figure below. Blocked doorway to left with flattened
triangular head, continuous moulded surround, hood mould and head
label stops. Sedilia of c.1200 on south wall with shafts and
semi-circular responds with moulded capitals supporting moulded
ovolo heads. C19 stone reredos with mosaic detailing. Communion
rail of 1895. C19 lectern, pews and pulpit. Late C17 pulpit
dismantled in north aisle, with 6 panels with round arches,
fretwork bands, flowerheads and castellated top. C15 tie beam
nave roof and panelled aisle roofs on stone corbels. C19 chancel
roof. C19 rectangular font. Fragmentary font of c.1200 upended
in nave. Font of 1719 by William Tudd, on the Gibbons pattern,
with the large figures of Adam and Eve supporting the tree shaped
pedestal, the latter entwined by serpent; the bulgy bowl with 3
oval scenes of: the baptism ofChrist; the parting of the Red
Sea and Noah's Ark, with leaves and apples around remainder of
bowl. Monuments include one of white marble on black with urn,
to Elizabeth Moore, died 1837; two in grey and white marble with
winged cherub heads, to Helen Jenkins, died 1818, and the
Reverend Samuel Elsdale, died 1827; two grey marble monuments to
Alice Stixwold, died 1784, and William Corby, died 1793.
Gravestones include: one to John Harox, died 1560; one to the
Reverend John Chapman, died 1751; one to Edward Hunnings, died
1733; one to John Cookson, died 1681; a small brass dated 1662
and a C17 marble in the nave temporarily covered; one to John
Cockle, died 1780 and one to John Cock, died 1708; one to
William Corby, died 1768, another to Mary Holsin, died 1772;
one to John Molson, died 1770; to Thomas Molson, died 1772; and
John Molson, died 1767. One to John Burton, died 1768; one to
Edward Hunnings, died 1787, and several C19 gravestones.

Listing NGR: TF3070624116

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.