If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Mary and the Holy Rood
Date Listed: 7 February 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 198131
OS Grid Reference: TF2082435943
OS Grid Coordinates: 520824, 335943
Latitude/Longitude: 52.9073, -0.2049
Explore more of the area around Donington, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.
DONINGTON CHURCH STREET
TF 23 NW
2/15 Church of St.Mary
and the Holy Rood
Parish church. C13, C14, C15, restored in 1868 and 1896.
Limestone ashlar, lead roofs. Southwestern tower and spire.
Clerestoried nave, aisles, chancel. Battlemented nave, aisles
with moulded copings. Bell moulded plinth. C19 vestry and
boiler house. Western door in moulded pointed surround, with
crocketed ogee canopy with fleurons. Above a 5 light C15 window,
with brattishing. In the aisles are single late C14 four light
panel traceried windows, the northern one with moulded mullions.
North aisle has stepped gabled buttresses and moulded parapet.
Continuously moulded C14 door and 4 three light windows with
panel tracery and chamfered surrounds. One blocked C19 doorway.
In the east end of the aisle a 3 light C15 window with ogee heads
to the lights and triangular head. Clerestory has 7 paired C15
lights with cusped ogee heads and quatrefoils. In the east end
of the chancel a 5 light C19 window in Perpendicular style, and
below 2 blocked 4 centred arched doorways. On the south side are
3 C19 2 light windows with Geometric tracery and a C13 pointed
doorway with hob nail imposts and roll moulded head. In the east
wall of the south aisle a single C14 4 light window with
elaborate cusped tracery, and on the south side are 3 three
light C14 windows with cusped ogee tracery, moulded mullions,
triangular heads, hood moulds with human heads. The clerestory
has 7 paired lights as the north side. Tall 3 stage south
western tower has stepped corner gabled buttresses with crocketed
gabled ogee niches and battlemented parapet. Set back spire with
3 tiers of alternating lucarnes. To the belfry stage tall 2
light openings, trefoil headed with quatrefoils. On the east and
west sides are single 2 light windows with quatrefoil and trefoil
headed lancets. On the south side a deeply moulded outer doorway
with 3 orders having annular capitals. Above an ogee headed
niche and crocketed gable. The tower porch has a ribbed vault
with bell hole. The inner door is of 4 orders with slender
shafts to reveals. Above a crocketed ogee niche contains a
seated figure. Boiler house on west side, dated 1868 on
rainwater hopper. Interior. 7 bay C15 nave arcades with
octagonal piers, bell moulded bases, octagonal brattished
capitals, double chamfered arches. Elaborate figured corbels to
responds. Nave roof retains one original braced truss, with
figured stone corbels. In the east end of the north aisle a C15
4 light traceried window now open to the added vestry, reached
via narrow pointed doorway. In the south east corner of the
aisle an ogee headed piscina. In the south wall of the south
aisle a similar piscina, and at the tower angle blocked pointed
doorway. Tall C15 double chamfered chancel arch with octagonal
respond to southern side. The northern side has an impost only,
and door to the now vanished rood loft. In the chancel a square
piscina with fluted basin in the south wall. At the east end the
elaborate C19 mosaic and marble reredos is flanked by single C15
doorways with 4 centred arched heads. In the north side a short
flight of steps is contained in an arched recess. Both doorways
and steps possibly lead to vestries or relic rooms. Tiled floor
to chancel. Fittings. In the chancel an early C13 stone chair,
arm with dogtoothing, a rolled terminal, with engaged octagonal
column to front. Churchwardens' chest. Tall late C14 octagonal
font with traceried and crocketed panels. C18 graveyard shelter
or hud. Monuments. Ashlar C19 wall tablet in Gothic taste to
Rev. John Wilson, d.1850, cusped ogee inscription panel with
pinnacles and statue of saints at the sides. Signed Kent. Also
white marble wall tablet to Capt. Matthew Flinders RN, navigator,
who first circumnavigated Australia,born in Donington 1774,
d.1814. Draped urn, fluted pilasters, relief carving of ship
under full sail with Flinders at his telescope on decks. In the
south aisle a wall plaque to Antony Birks, author, d.1769. Open
pedimented plaque with egg and dart frieze. At the west end a
classical scrolled plaque with flowers, fruit and memento mori to
Mary Long, d.1716.
Listing NGR: TF2082035941
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.