If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Peter and St Paul
Date Listed: 7 February 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 198180
OS Grid Reference: TF2375031759
OS Grid Coordinates: 523750, 331759
Latitude/Longitude: 52.8691, -0.1630
Explore more of the area around Gosberton, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.
GOSBERTON WESTHORPE ROAD
TF 23 SW
4/66 Church of
Parish church. C12, C14, C15, restored 1896. Squared limestone
rubble and ashlar, lead roofs. Clerestoried nave, aisles, south
porch, transepts, chancel, south chapel, crossing tower with
spire. Nave is battlemented with crocketed pinnacles and
latticed frieze, and cross pattees. West doorway in continuously
moulded hollow chamfered surround with leaf decoration. Above a
large 5 light C15 window with cusped heads to the lights and
panel tracery with brattished transom. In the west end of the
south aisle an early C15 3 light window, ogee heads to the lights
and panel tracery. In the north aisle a C15 3 light window with 4
centred arched head. North aisle has plain mouldd parapet,
stepped and gabled buttresses. C15 double chamfered doorway with
above a 3 light window, cusped heads to the lights and rounded
head. 3 three light C14 curvilinear traceried windows with
mouchettes. Clerestory to north and south has 8 two light
windows with triangular heads and cusping to the Y tracery. C14
crossing tower with embattled parapet angle pinnacles and set
back crocketed spire with 3 tiers of alternating lucarnes. In
the belfry stage are paired lights with reticulated tracery,
continuously moulded surrounds. North transpet has a large
mullioned and transomed window of 5 lights with Perpendicular
tracery and brattishing to the transoms. In the east wall 2
three light C15 Perpendicular traceried windows. Chancel has 2
pointed 2 light windows, one C14 and reticulated, the other with
reset tracery. Also a small round headed doorway. The east
window is a C19 3 light window with Geometric tracery. C17 4
light chamfered mullioned window in square surround to south
chapel east wall, and on the south side a doorway with C19
surround, and 2 reticulated windows in square surrounds, one of 3
lights, the other of 2. Also a C14 tomb recess with triangular
moulded head. South transept contains a 3 light early C15 panel
traceried window and to the south a large window matching the
north transept. The south aisle has 3 C15 3 light windows with
Perpendicular tracery and a pair of semi-circular moulded tomb
recesses. C14 gabled south porch with angle buttresses, plain
parapet with pinnacles. Hollow chamfered pointed outer doorway
with fleurons and human head stops to the crocketed hood.
Flanked and surmounted by single nodding ogee headed niches with
vaults. 2 light mullioned and transomed side windows with cusped
heads. The inner door matches the outer but with ogee finial and
is flanked by single niches with floriated canopies. Interior.
Early C15, 4 bay nave arcades, double moulded pointed arches, the
outer door continuous, the inner order with half round columns
with brattished capitals. Hood moulds with shield and animal
stops. Roll moulded cill band to clerestory with grotesque
corbels, alternately supporting shafts to roof corbels. C19 roof
in C15 form with brattished ties and traceried spandrels.
Matching aisle roofs. 4 C15 double chamfered tower arches with
octagonal responds and capitals. Double chamfered arch from
north aisle to transept. Wider double chamfered arch with
octagonal reveals from south aisle to transept. The crossing is
lierne vaulted with moulded ribs, bosses and circular bell hole
filled with vaulting ribs. Matching double chamfered arch from
south transept to south chapel. Chancel has pointed doorway in
north wall and a 2 bay C13 arcade to south chapel, with double
chamfered arches, quatrefoil filleted piers and annular capitals.
Ogee headed piscina on south wall. In the south wall of the
chapel a C14 sedilia and piscina, with cusped ogee headed seats,
moulded cornice. In south transept a pointed piscina. Fittings.
South chapel C15 screen of 5 lights with central opening,
crocketed and cusped ogee arches, panel tracery, C19 brattishing
and rood figures. C14 octagonal font with cusped panels, on C19
stem. Monuments. In the south transept on a chest a pair of
recumbent effigies, of a knight and lady. He in a cusped ogee
headed niche with crocketed pinnacles and censing angels in the
spandrels, she on the floor beside him with mantle and cushion.
Wall monument to John Calthrop d.1785 in nave east wall, marble
surround, pedimented with urn.
Listing NGR: TF2374531755
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.