British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Mary, Pinchbeck

Description: Church of St Mary

Grade: I
Date Listed: 7 February 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 198191

OS Grid Reference: TF2419725594
OS Grid Coordinates: 524197, 325594
Latitude/Longitude: 52.8136, -0.1587

Location: Church Street, Pinchbeck, Lincolnshire PE11 3UB

Locality: Pinchbeck
Local Authority: South Holland District Council
County: Lincolnshire
Country: England
Postcode: PE11 3UB

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Pinchbeck, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

TF 22 NW
(east side)
7/77 Church of St. Mary
G.V. I
Parish church. C12. C13, C14, C15, 1855, chancel rebuilt by
Butterfield 1861. Ashlar, lead and Westmorland slate roofs.
Western tower, clerestoried nave, aisles, chancel, south porch,
northchapel. Tall 3 stage C14 tower with stepped corner
buttresses, quatrefoil plinth, embattled parapet, crocketed
corner pinnacles. To belfry stage are tall 3 light transomed
louvred perpendicular lights. On the south side a tall 3 light
C15 window to first stage and a smaller 2 light window. On the
west side the buttresses contain niches with crocketed nodding
ogee canopies. The west doorway is C14 with angle shafts and 3
orders of filleted roll moulding with elaborately cusped trefoil
head to door. The canopy is ogee pattern with crockets, leaves
and human head label stops. Above a 4 light Perpendicular window
and 2 light window as the south side. The north side matches the
south. The north aisle has an embattled parapet and contains 5
large 3 light Perpendicular windows, 4 to the south side and one
to the west, with ogee heads to the lights, subdivided by stepped
buttresses. Also a C15 4 centred arched doorway with trefoil
headed panels to the reveals. Contemporary door with cusped Y
tracery and crocketed finials, ogee headed wicket. The
clerestory is embattled with shields in quatrefoil panels and has
5 pairs of 3 light Perpendicular windows. The north chapel
contains a blocked large 4 light window in 4 centred arched
surround now with C19 tracery. Beyond a 3 light C14 window, a
C19 pointed doorway with above a blocked window. In the east end
a broad 5 light late C14 window in the north chapel with pointed
head, and in the chancel a C19 5 light window with Geometric
tracery. On the south side a 2 light C14 window with flowing
tracery, an early C14 doorway with double chamfered surround and
a 2 light C19 window. In the east end of the nave a C13 mandorla
in chamfered surround and steep earlier nave roof pitch. The
south aisle is battlemented and contains 3 light panel traceried
windows with moulded surrounds, mullions and cusped ogee heads to
the lights, one to each end and 4 to the south side. Gabled C14
south porch with triangular headed moulded outer arch and C19
wrought iron double gates. Side benches. Originally vaulted
with a fan vault, the springers of which remain. The C14 inner
doorway has cusped ogee head with 3 orders of moulding and
fleurons. The canopy has crockets, fleurons and floriated knops.
Interior. Tall 5 bay C13 nave arcades, alternating round and
octagonal piers with some reused C12 work, matching capitals and
hobnail decoration. The easternmost piers are more elaborate with
angle shafts. The arches are rolled and filleted with quirks and
have dogtoothed hoods. The nave roof is C15 with arched tie
beams with fleurons and brattishing, pierced cusped spandrels and
queen posts supporting the moulded principals. Contemporary arms
bearing angel supporters on the half bays. The C15 north aisle
roof is similar. Tall continuously wave moulded tower arch with
octagonal capitals. Tower has springing for a vanished vault.
C13 double chamfered arch with octagonal responds and imposts.
At the east end of the nave an ogee headed doorway to the rood
loft. At the east end of the north aisle a broad continuously
moulded arch leads to the north chapel. In the chancel a 3 bay
arcade to the north chapel with quatrefoil piers and double
chamfered pointed arches. In the south wall a C19 sedilia with
tall pointed arches. In the east window of the north chapel and
in the north aisle some C15 grisaille and stained glass remains
in the upper panels. The east window stained glass is dated 1855
by O'Connor, the west window of 1861 by the same artist.
Fittings. North aisle a much restored and painted C15 screen.
C14 octagonal font with quatrefoil panels containing shieldsand
crosses to the sides of the bowl and buttressed stem with
quatrefoils and fleurons. Also an early C19 hud. Monuments. In
the south aisle a tomb in the form of an altar with Purbeck
marble ledger slab, panelled sides with crocketed ogee pinnacles
and armorial shields. In the north chapel a wall plaque to
Williame Wilde 1656, alabaster, with scrolled brackets, swagged
base with escutcheon, pilasters, slate inscription panel. Above
is an armorial escutcheon. Also in the north chapel a handsome
chest tomb of 1708 to William Smithson, MD with raised and
fielded inscription panel, gadrooned angle pilasters and facetted
peaked top.

Listing NGR: TF2419925595

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.