Description: Crossness Pumping Station
Date Listed: 24 June 1970
English Heritage Building ID: 198633
OS Grid Reference: TQ4849781080
OS Grid Coordinates: 548497, 181080
Latitude/Longitude: 51.5091, 0.1384
Crossness Pumping Station
TQ 48 SE 1/1 24.6.70.
Opened 4 April 1865. Engineer: Joseph Bazalgette. Two storeys, yellow brick.
Three-one-three bays divided by pilasters; the windows simple Romanesque style
with 3 round headed lights. Machicolated cornice between the pilasters, cornice
across all above this. Punctuated capped parapet. Three jointed one storey
parallel gabled ranges at right angles to main block. The gable ends have
black round arches containing a three light window (each with round head).
Circular window in tympanum side elevation with series of joined round headed
Interior: Important cast iron architectural treatment and 4 colossal beam
engines by James Watt and Co.
Reference: Architectural Review December 1969. Article by John Smith with
photographs and engraving.
Listing NGR: TQ4849781080
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.