Parish Church of St John the Evangelist, Bexley
Description: Parish Church of St John the Evangelist
Date Listed: 17 December 1980
English Heritage Building ID: 198661
OS Grid Reference: TQ4645471558
OS Grid Coordinates: 546454, 171558
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4241, 0.1051
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
Parish Church of
St John the Evangelist
TQ 4671 16/4
1882-1901 by G E Fellowes Prynne, architect. Replaced church of 1841. Aisled
nave of 6 bays, aisled 4-bay chancel, 2-bay chapels north and south, south-west
tower, north-west baptistery, vestries and organ chamber to north of chancel.
Tower unfinished above bell stage. Yellow brick, enriched with bands and surrounds
of red brick, bands of stone. Red tile roof. Lancets. Two-storey interior
with quatrefoil balustrade below clerestory. Wooden pointed tunnel vault,
supported by coved hammer-beams. Triple arcaded screen across chancel arch
with pierced crenellated parapet. Chancel with pointed wagon roof. Flemish
pulpit inscribed "Antwerp 1651".
Listing NGR: TQ4645471558
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.