Description: Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin
Date Listed: 1 October 1953
English Heritage Building ID: 198685
OS Grid Reference: TQ4978573444
OS Grid Coordinates: 549785, 173444
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4402, 0.1537
Parish Church of
TQ 4973 13/20 1.10.53 St Mary the Virgin
Nave with north aisle and chapel, chancel, west tower and south porch. Largely
C13 but incorporating some older work; restored 1882-3 by Basil Champneys,
architect. Of flint with Portland stone dressings. Lancets and intersecting
tracery, much restored, Unusual shingled spire of 2 storeys; the lower square
with bell openings in form of dormers, the upper octagonal and overhanging.
The interior contains sedilia, probably C15; font dated 1684 on medieval stem;
chancel screen with loft including stalls and pulpit by Champneys; many fine
monuments of C16 to C18. In churchyard a fine collection of tomb chests and
stones dating from C17 onwards.
Listing NGR: TQ4978573444
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.