Description: Parish Church of St Paulinus
Date Listed: 20 May 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 198707
OS Grid Reference: TQ5119475122
OS Grid Coordinates: 551194, 175122
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4549, 0.1747
Parish Church of
TQ 57 NW 3/9 20.5.52
Nave, west tower, north aisle as wide as nave and chancel with north and south
chapels. North and west walls of aisle date from circa 1100 and have tufa
blocks in north-west quoin. Frames of round-headed windows of circa 1200.
Windows mainly of C14 (renewed). West tower built circa 1406 by John Wills,
with angle buttresses, Perpendicular tracery in openings and embattled parapet.
Arcade between nave and aisle is aligned with central axis of chancel. Roofs
dated 1630. Pulpit circa 1630. Altar table by James Brooks, architect, 1895.
Church was restored 1862 by Joseph Clarke, architect. Monument in north chapel
to William and Mary Draper (died 1650 and 1652) possibly by Thomas Stanton
(Gunnis). Several other good monuments.
Listing NGR: TQ5119475122
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.