Description: St Marthas Convent (The Mount House) with Attached Stable Block
Date Listed: 18 July 1949
English Heritage Building ID: 198831
OS Grid Reference: TQ2534097636
OS Grid Coordinates: 525340, 197636
Latitude/Longitude: 51.6635, -0.1892
5004 CAMLET WAY
St Martha's Convent
(The Mount House) with
attached stable block
TQ 2597 9/8 18.7.49
Mid C18. A fine red brick mansion with stone dressings, quoins and string course.
Two storeys. Main elevation of 5 windows with the centre 3 set slightly forward
under pediment. Sash windows with glazing bars. Central doorway on a large scale.
Ionic columns frame a 6 panel door with a fanlight and pediment. Bullseye window in
eaves pediment. Modillion cornice, parapet, hipped roof. Lawn elevation altered by
2 circa 1800 full height bows each with 3 sash windows. Cantilevered stair with
2 fluted balusters to each tread, and ramped handrail. The home 1836-1863 of
J H Green the editor of 'Spiritual Philosophy; founded on the teachings of the late
Samuel Taylor Coleridge', written in the house and published in 1866. Also the
wartime home 1941-45 of the Architectural Association School. Stable block to the
right of the house is contemporary. Red brick with tiled roof. Two storeys,
2 windows flank each side of a tall rusticated archway with pediment and clock tower
over. Clock turret with 2 segmented and 2 triangular pediments on the faces, domed
cupola above. Band between floors. Arched openings below. Bullseyes and sashes
with balustraded aprons above. Screen walls of red brick flank the house with a
pedimented archway ball finials on either side.
Listing NGR: TQ2534097636
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.