Description: Friern Hospital
Date Listed: 17 September 1982
English Heritage Building ID: 198883
OS Grid Reference: TQ2838092086
OS Grid Coordinates: 528380, 192086
Latitude/Longitude: 51.6130, -0.1473
5004 FRIERN BARNET ROAD
Friern Barnet N11
TQ 29 SE 6/21 17.9.82
S W Daukes of Cheltenham Foundation Stone laid 8 May 1849. Opened July 1851.
Originally known as the Colney Hatch Asylum it was renamed in 1937. The complex is
dominated by a central block with 2 towers and an octagonal dome, flanked by long
wings. The whole front is 1,881 ft in length in a plain Italianite style, yellow
brick with stone dressings. Built as the Middlesex County Lunatic Asylum but known
better as Colney Hatch. The direct successor of Bethlehem Hospital in Lambeth and of
some historic interest in the more humane treatment of the insane 'kept without
shackle or even strait-waistcoat' (Thorne). Only the main part is of interest.
Listing NGR: TQ2838092086
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.