Description: Golders Green Hippodrome
Date Listed: 23 October 1973
English Heritage Building ID: 199014
OS Grid Reference: TQ2530187415
OS Grid Coordinates: 525301, 187415
Latitude/Longitude: 51.5717, -0.1934
In the entry for:
5004 NORTH END ROAD
TQ 2587 28/6 23.10.73 Golders Green Hippodrome
the description shall be amended to read as follows:
Former variety theatre, now concert hall and studio, 1913 by Bertie
Crewe. Brick and concrete, rendered on main facades, with partial
steel frame, asphalt roof with octagonal cupola. Rectangular plan on
prominent corner site, where lies the entrance. Main facade of three
storeys and seven bays faces bus station to side between rusticated
stair towers with Diocletian attic windows. Giant Ionic order, with
pediments over second floor windows. All windows small paned
casements, some with coloured leaded glass. Exit doors in centre,
formerly giving access to the pit and gallery, are panelled with
small coloured leaded lights. Elevation to North End Road similarly
seven bays between rusticated towers, with Ionic order and smaller
casements but identical exit doors. Corner entrance has three double
panelled doors with bevelled glass between Tuscan columns.
Interior. Entrance foyer with moulded dentil frieze and thin swags
leads to terrazzo-floored stairs. Doorcases to stalls and circle
entrances have fluted Egyptian-inspired columns and swags.
Auditorium with proscenium, extended stage and two circles, the upper
partially blocked. Square proscenium with triglyph cornice and deep
cove is flanked by giant Doric columns separating boxes; above these
are urns and pediments surmounted by charioteers pulled by lions.
Double doors at sides of balconies, the upper pedimented and with a
frieze of heads and swags over, the lower with engaged Doric columns
in front supporting serpentine ends of gallery. Plaster panels and
pilasters on side walls. The upper balcony front pure Doric, the
lower with more Renaissance loucheness. Coffered ceiling.
Listed as a rare example of a surviving suburban theatre, largely
Source: Curtains!, 1982.
Jean Holden, Golders Green Hippodrome, 1913-68, unpublished City
University MA thesis, 1989
5004 NORTH END ROAD
Golders Green Hippodrome
TQ 2587 28/6 23.10.73
Built as a music-hall in circa 1913. Architect Bertie Crewe. The auditorium is
decorated with giant Doric columns flanking the boxes and a frieze carried round the
front of the upper gallery. Above the boxes are free-standing plaster figures of
charioteers drawn by 3 lions. The exterior of the building is not of special interest.
Listing NGR: TQ2530187415
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.