Description: 52-68, Bishopsgate Ec2
Date Listed: 10 November 1977
English Heritage Building ID: 199316
OS Grid Reference: TQ3316181338
OS Grid Coordinates: 533161, 181338
Latitude/Longitude: 51.5153, -0.0823
Nos 52 to 68 (even)
TQ 3381 SW 11/N/7
1928, by Mewes and Davis; stone classical facade of 5 main storeys with attic
and roof storeys; 14 bays to Bishopsgate (5+4+5) with rusticated strips marking
the main divisions and rusticated unbonded quoins; the centre 4 bays project very
slightly. Base with a low plain plinth above which giant Doric pilasters unite
the ground and 1st (or mezzanine) floors and carry a mutular entablature with triglyph frieze and carved metopes with Red Indian feathers, wolves' heads and other Canadian motifs. Where the wide entrance to St Helen's Place penetrates the building in the central 4 bays the entablature is carried on fluted Doric columns in antis on either side of the opening. The upper 3 floors are plain ashlar faced with moulded architraves to 2nd and 3rd floor and crossetted frames to 4th floor windows, those to 2nd floor with cornice hoods and to 3rd floor with bracketed cills. Enriched bracketed cornice with crowning balustraded parapet; behind this a stone faced attic with cornice above with a steep slated roof with dormers and stone stacks. Central rusticated square turret with octagonal arcaded belfry and cupola with beaver weathervane. The central entrance to St Helen's Place has fine wrought iron gates; stone and plaster compartmented soffite; arms of Leathersellers Company arid big hanging lanterns.
Listing NGR: TQ3316181338
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.