Description: Church of St Mary Aldermary
Date Listed: 4 January 1950
English Heritage Building ID: 199707
OS Grid Reference: TQ3240981035
OS Grid Coordinates: 532409, 181035
Latitude/Longitude: 51.5127, -0.0933
There is also a scheduled monument, Remains of St Pancras Church, Pancras Lane, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
QUEEN VICTORIA STREET EC4
Church of St Mary Aldermary
TQ 3281 SW 9/250 4.1.50.
Late C17, by Wren, incorporating work of early C16 and early C17, especially in
tower. Perpendicular Gothic style. Aisled body of 6 bays with clerestory and
very short chancel. South west tower. Portland stone with buttresses, south doorway
etc added in C19. Pair of elaborate finials to chancel. Tower has octagonal,
panelled turrets with ogee caps and a pierced parapet. North east vestry. Adjoining
buildings at north west corner. Interior has rich fan vault in plaster, with shallow
domes. Further plaster enrichment to spandrels of arcade. Panelling, reredos,
pews and organ case C19 Gothic. Carved pulpit, doorway at west end, font and railing
are late C17. Wall monuments.
Listing NGR: TQ3240981033
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.