Description: Church of St Luke
Date Listed: 19 October 1951
English Heritage Building ID: 200248
OS Grid Reference: TQ4145777835
OS Grid Coordinates: 541457, 177835
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4818, 0.0358
TQ 4177 CHARLTON CHURCH LANE SE7
786/29/G3 Church of St Luke
Nave, South porch and West Tower of about 1630, on site of earlier church. North aisle added 1693, also 2-bay chancel which is now incorporated with nave. Red brick with high pitched tiled roofs. South porch has curved gable over order framing rusticated brick wall. Round arched entrance with moulded brick architrave and keystone. Similar treatment on sides of porch. Tower of 3 stages with battlement parapet. Bell openings and windows have brick tracery, partly renewed. Nave and aisle windows have archaic Gothic tracery much restored. Chancel and North aisle extension C19, also of red brick. Projecting entrance with stone-coped Dutch gable on South wall; now blocked; and another entrance porch on South side of North-East extension.
Inside nave of 2 and 2 bays. East bay of extended North aisle as chapel. l-bay chancel with large arch to organ chamber on North side. C17 wagon roof to old chancel and same style in new chancel. Heavy tie beams to nave roof. Aisle roof flat and plastered. Mid C17 pulpit. C17 stone font with baluster stem, bowl with draperies and shells. Many interesting monuments, particularly;
a. Stone tablet to Edward Wilkinson, master cook to Queen Elizabeth, d.1561.
b. Lady Newton, 1630 by Nicholas Stone, large tablet framed in Order, black and white marble.
c. Brigadier Michael Richards 1721, free-standing man in armour.
d. Spencer Perceval, the Prime Minister assassinated in 1812, bust by Chantrey.
Listing NGR: TQ4145777835
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.