Description: The Ranger's House
Date Listed: 19 October 1951
English Heritage Building ID: 200259
OS Grid Reference: TQ3888776832
OS Grid Coordinates: 538887, 176832
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4734, -0.0016
44l2 CHESTERFIELD WALK SE10
The Ranger's House
(formerly Chesterfield House)
TQ 3876 37/G21 19.10.51.
Built circa 1690 by Andrew Snape. Additions mid C18 and early C19. Main west
front of 2 storeys and basement, 7 windows. Brown brick with red brick dressings.
Stone dentil cornice and restored, balustraded parapet. Stone 1st floor band
and stone moulded plinth coping. Central portion, faced in Portland stone, slightly
recessed. Central entrance has Ionic columns and pilasters on pedestals supporting
dentil cornice and pediment. 8 panel door, with radial fanlight, in moulded
architrave with impost blocks and mask on keystone. Carved festoons in spandrels.
Small flanking windows have sunk panels above and below. On 1st floor a round
arched central window with moulded architrave, impost blocks and keystone; and
small flanking windows with entablatures. Other windows recessed sashes with
glazing bars under gauged, segmental red brick arches, and sunk panels below.
When Lord Chesterfield acquired the house, in 1748, he added a 1-storey South
wing in pinkish-yellow stock brick with projecting bows to front and rear. Stone
entablature and blocking course, stone band continuous with 1st floor band of
main house. This wing contains a suite of ballrooms, and is said to be by Isaac
Ware. A North wing, with similar front but without the back projection, was
built some time later. The wings have remarkable square, tapered brick chimneys.
Rear extension similar, without stone-faced centrepiece and with terrace all
Inside, a panelled hall with round arches, and early C18 staircase with cut string
and 3 turned balusters to a tread, the middle one fluted. Ramped handrail with
spiral end. Fluted newel posts, carved step ends. Panelled dado to stairwell
has fluted pilasters. Several original marble fireplace surrounds remain. LCC
plaque commemorates residences of 4th Earl of Chesterfield and Lord Wolseley.
Listing NGR: TQ3888776832
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.