Date Listed: 12 May 1972
English Heritage Building ID: 200299
OS Grid Reference: TQ3867277108
OS Grid Coordinates: 538672, 177108
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4759, -0.0046
4412 CROOMS HILL SE10
TQ 3877 26/502 12.5.72.
Early C18, probably begun for Sir William Hooker. Occupied until 1746 by John
James, architect of St Alfege's Church Tower, who may have completed the building.
Large house of irregular shape built into hillside rising to Greenwich Park.
Rendered exterior with parapet and windows entirely of late C19 appearance.
Mid C19 ballroom wing with some classical exterior detail, but partly covered
by later rendering. Interior remodelled in early C20 to make flats. Of original
house several doors remain, mahogany with 6 beaded panels, all removed from original
places and set in modern architraves. Early C18 staircase with cut string and
carving below tread ends. Spiral turned balusters with square knops, ramped
handrail with spiral ends and fluted Corinthian columns as newel posts. Parts
of staircase concealed by partitioning but main flight visible, also 2 short
balustrades to low flight from lobby to hall. Above 1st floor staircase similar
but with solid string.
Listing NGR: TQ3867277108
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.