Description: The Grange
Date Listed: 19 October 1951
English Heritage Building ID: 200311
OS Grid Reference: TQ3853577248
OS Grid Coordinates: 538535, 177248
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4772, -0.0065
4412 CROOMS HILL SE10
TQ 3877 26/G31 19.10.51.
Formerly known as "Paternoster Croft" and later "Grove House".
House of mainly mid C17 appearance, with C18 alterations, concealing a much older
core. Recent investigations have shown timber work possibly of C12. House was
mentioned in a schedule of Ghent Abbey (to which the manor of Greenwich then
belonged) in 1281, and was then said to have been restored in 1268. Edmund Chapman,
chief joiner to Queen Elizabeth leased it from 1561-1568, It then became the
residence of the Lanier family of musicians. In 1665 it was bought by Sir William
Hooker, Sherriff and later Lord Mayor of London, who caused the gazebo (qv) to
Main block has South front of 2 storeys and attic, 4 windows. Moderately low
pitched, tiled roof has pediment-like gable end at right with projecting eaves
supported on purlin ends; and deep eaves soffit resting on ends of ceiling joists.
Circular window in pediment. Stuccoed with rusticated quoins. Sash windows
with glazing bars in near-flush moulded wood architraves. Right 1st floor window
under gable in oriel bow. Door of 8 fielded panels, with cornice head and 3-pane
rectangular fanlight, in 2nd bay from right. Doorcase of moulded architrave,
sunk panel pilasters, pulvinated frieze and cornice hood on curved consoles.
Right return, of 1 window, under gable end similar to front. windows in canted
bay through 2 floors. On 1st floor 3 sash windows with glazing bars, the centre
one long and opening to wrought iron balcony. On ground floor bay completely
glazed. Mid-late C18 West wing projecting in front and running on behind main
block. In front 2 storeys, 2 recessed sash windows. Stucco. Roof of moderately
high pitch renewed in machine tiles.
Listing NGR: TQ3853577248
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.