Church of St Nicholas, Greenwich
Description: Church of St Nicholas
Date Listed: 19 October 1951
English Heritage Building ID: 200321
OS Grid Reference: TQ3739677745
OS Grid Coordinates: 537396, 177745
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4820, -0.0227
Location: Stowage, Greenwich, Greater London SE8 3HY
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
4412 DEPTFORD GREEN SE8
TQ 3777 25/G4 19.10.51 Church of St Nicholas
Church. West tower of c.1500 on C13 foundation. Kentish ragstone with inserted flint panel. Three stages, with diagonal buttresses, stair turret, 3-light traceried belfry openings and parapet. Upper stage of tower rebuilt 1903-4 following gale damage by Robert Pearsall. Body of church rebuilt in 1697 by Charles Stanton, carpenter. Brown brick with gauged red brick window surrounds, Portland stone dressings, copper roof. Four bays, projecting transepts with scrolled pedimented gables in second bay from west; arched windows over rectangular lower openings; doors with segmental pediments containing cherubs' heads in tympana at south-west and north-west and north-east. Eastern extension and stair tower c.1910, by William Woodward, also of brown brick. Upper parts of wall rebuilt c.1910. Church extensively restored following bomb damage,
1955-58 by Thomas Ford. INTERIOR: central cruciform plan following truncation of the nave in 1950s. Tuscan arcades with straight entablature, shallow nave and transept vaults, groined vault over crossing. Iron tie-rods with ornamental overthrows above east and west arms of crossing of 1718. Interior of west tower with moulded arch. Present arrangement of parish rooms at east end created 1955-58 by Thomas Ford included the conversion of the chancel and eastern bay of nave. FITTINGS: Reredos of oak, 1697, removed from chancel and re-erected in
present position in 1955-58; north and south doors of chancel installed to form continuous screen along east wall. Central section with segmental pediment containing painted glass oval of Adoration of the Shepherds, c.1791, signed by William Price. Decalogue flanked by painting of Moses and Aaron set within Corinthian capitals. Reclining oak figures of St John the Evangelist and a prophet. Organ case, 1697, by Father Smith, removed from west gallery to east wall. Relief carving of valley of dry bones, oak, 1697, formerly positioned above charnel house door, doubtfully attributed to Grinling Gibbons. Portrait of Queen Anne' by school of Kneller, within carved frame. Pulpit, c.1620, oak, with relief panels of arches set between fluted pilaster. Monuments surviving from wartime damage include Roger Boyle d. 1615. Fragmentary survival of tablets to family of John Evelyn. Royal Coat-of-Arms above tower arch, oak, 1697.
HISTORICAL NOTE: The church was in existence by the 12th century. It has strong maritime connections owing to its proximity to Deptford dockyard and is the burial place of many mariners and shipwrights. The old church was dismantled, (bar the tower) and rebuilt in 1697: Isaac Loader's bequest is commemorated upon a cartouche. Structural repairs were required in 1716. The interior was redecorated in 1791, repewed in 1875, the tower repaired in 1903-4 and the east end and upper parts of the nave walls rebuilt in c.1910. Following severe bomb damage the church was extensively altered and restored by Thomas F. Ford and partners, and reopened in February 1958.
Listing NGR: TQ3739677744
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.