Church of St Alfege, Greenwich
Description: Church of St Alfege
Date Listed: 19 October 1951
English Heritage Building ID: 200365
OS Grid Reference: TQ3830677605
OS Grid Coordinates: 538306, 177605
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4805, -0.0097
Location: 8 A206, Greenwich, Greater London SE10 9BJ
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
786/26/G1 GREENWICH CHURCH STREET SE10
19-OCT-51 (West side)
CHURCH OF ST ALFEGE
Revision Number: 2
GREENWICH CHURCH STREET SE10
Church of St Alfege
TQ 3877 26/G1 19.10.51.
1711-14 by Nicholas Hawksmoor. One of the 1st of the "Fifty New Churches" arising
from the Act of 1711. Masons were Edward Strong (who had worked for Wren on
St Paul's Cathedral) and Edward Tufnell. Steeple 1730 by John James, rebuilt
1813. Cruciform church with West tower. Portland stone ashlar. Doric entablature
all the way round, supported on pilasters defining bays. Moderately low pitched
roof now copper covered. Pediment at East end with urn finials at either side.
Doric entablature beneath broken by high, round arch. Centre of East end recessed,
producing portico distyle in antis, with steps up to it but no entrance. Wide,
segment-headed 1st floor window supports, modified entablature with 2 pilasters
rising thence to archivolt. Flat pilasters define back wall of portico. Flanking
windows round arched. Low, flat-arched windows below. Along sides round headed
1st floor windows, in round arches recesses, have aprons below with guttae.
Square ground floor windows in square recesses. In transept ends 3 round arched
doors with plain architraves and impost blocks. Paved terrace in front of them
reaching to gabled crypt entrances. 3 nave windows at either side of transepts.
Square west tower of 4 stages. Ground floor blank with shallow niches and projecting
angle pilasters. Low 2nd stage has oculus with one keystone, and low, round
angle buttresses. Taller, Ionic 3rd stage with paired angle pilasters. Above
this octagonal stage with clock faces and urns at angles. Tall, Corinthian drum,
with oculus above round arch in each of 8 faces, supports dome with stone spike,
ball and vane finial. West entrance in tower has shouldered architrave, triple
keystone, alternating block sides, cornice and pediment. Flanking round headed
windows, in round arched recesses, with Gibbs surround.
Interior almost completely remodelled after war damage. West organ gallery and
side galleries renewed. Ceiling plaster work with oval raised border also renewed.
Corinthian columns of reredos remain. East wall repainted in imitation of coffered
apse. Restoration by Albert Richardson in 1950's. Original staircases remain
in transepts. C17 baluster font on North-west end.
Listing NGR: TQ3830677605
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.