British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Addington Palace (Royal School of Church Music), Croydon

Description: Addington Palace (Royal School of Church Music)

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 29 January 1951
English Heritage Building ID: 201209

OS Grid Reference: TQ3636963609
OS Grid Coordinates: 536369, 163609
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3552, -0.0429

Locality: Croydon
County: Greater London
Country: England
Postcode: CR0 5BB

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Listing Text

In the entry for

Addington Palace
(Royal School of Church

The previous listing date shall be amended to read 29.1.51


In the entry for:


Addington Palace
(Royal School of Church Music)
TQ 36 SE 6/2 20.5.54


the Grade shall be amended to read Grade II*(star) and the description shall be amended
to read as follows:

Large house, School of Church Music at time of survey. Original house of 1772 by
Robert Mylne for Alderman Barlow Trecothick comprised 2 storey central block and 1
storey wings linking to end pavilions. In 1807 the estate was purchased as a palace by
the Archbishop of Canterbury. Between 1828 and 1833 Henry Harrison added a chapel
and library to the ground floor front and heightened the wings by one storey. In 1896
the estate was sold by Archbishop Temple to Frederick Alexander English, a South
African diamond millionaire and the house restructured by R Norman Shaw who added
a 2nd floor to the main block, reconstructed the main staircase, built the Great Hall,
added an impressive entrance hall in porch and converted the north pavilion to a Winter
Garden. Palladian style. Portland stone with hipped slate roof and tall stone
chimneystack. 12 pane sashes throughout except for ground floor which has 18-pane
sashes. Central block is of 3 storeys 1-3-3-3-1 sash windows with centre and ends
slightly projecting. Balustraded parapet cornice cill bands and blocking course. Central
2 storey porch by R Norman Shaw has triple-window to 1st floor and ground floor has
pedimented porch with Ionic columns and piers "in antis" and 2 leafed panelled door
behind. Wings have c1830 projecting single storey wings of 4 windows with balustraded
parapet to front and set back 2 storey wings of 3 windows. The wings terminate in north
and south pavilions, of 1 storey with pedimented gable with balustrading and 2 sashes in
round-headed arched recesses. Garden front is of 2 storeys on tall rusticated basement
with round-headed windows, the central 3 windows projecting under central pediment.
Balustrade and late C19 tall leaded mansard roof. Set back side wings have 5 windows.
Cornice and blocking course throughout. Outer attached pavilions are single storey
with basement and have 3 tall round-headed windows, cornice and pediment. North
Pavilion was converted into a Winter Garden in late C19 and chapel in mid C20 and has
projecting canted bay to side. Attached to the house on both north and south sides is an
early C19 brick wall about 20 feet in height. North side has cambered entrance. South
side incorporates octagonal cement rendered summerhouse with slate roof round-headed
windows and double door. Interior exhibits features by Mylne, Harrison and R Norman
Shaw. Adam Drawing Room is part of original Mylne structure but redecorated by
Norman Shaw. Original fireplace has marble fireplace with attached columns and panel
with goat sacrifice. Mouldings of musical instruments over doors are of hollow carved
wood. 6 panelled-doors and some false doors added to give the room symmetry.
Adamesque ceiling with wedgwood type panels and octagonal roundels. Adjoining
Chinese Drawing Room has marble fireplace with eared architraves, pilasters and basket
grate. Adam style ceiling with paterae and 4 roundels with Cupids. Morning Room
has elaborate green and white marble fireplace with carved architraves. Leaf moulded
cornice and deep fielded panels probably by R Norman Shaw. Impressive well staircase
has mahogany handrail and cast iron panels of shields and balustrades with crown. The
Great Hall by R Norman Shaw has an enormous Jacobean style marble fireplace with red
marble and alabaster strapwork overmantel and green marble surround to fireplace which
has black and white marble rusticated pilasters to lower tier and red marble engaged Ionic
columns above. Deep fielded wooden panelling, balconette with elaborate cast iron
surround and moulded ceilings. Drawing Room also by R Norman Shaw has stone
baronial fireplace with green marble panels and bell-shape above with attached columns.
Dado panelling with strapwork design and plaster ceiling with design of quatrefoils and
square panels with blank shields. Former chapel, now Dining Hall, has curved ceiling
with reel and bead ornament. Winter Garden, now chapel has intersecting ceiling and
round-headed windows of 1954. Memorial to Sydney Hugo Nicholson (1875-47),
Founder of the Royal School of Church Music. First floor Empire Room decorated in
Edwardian Louis XV1 style with 2 painted overmantels depicting nymphs and cupids,
double doors with flaming torch and arrow decorations and marble fireplace with gilt
inlay, pilasters and basket grate. [see 'Addington Palace history and description' Frederick
Storrocks. 'Addington Village and Historical Survey'. Frederick Storrocks]



Addington Palace
(Royal School of Church
TQ 36 SE 6/2 20.5.54


1772, with many later alterations and additions. By Robert Mylne for Alderman
Barlow Trecothick. Purchased by the Archbishop of Canterbury as a Palace in 1807.
The Chapel, Library and other appartments by Henry Harrison, 1829/30. Further
alterations, including a new top storey, in 1898/1900 by Richard Norman Shaw.
Portland stone. Central block is of 3 storeys. 1-3-3-3-1 sash windows, centre and
ends slightly projecting. Two storeyed porches. Three windows (1-1-1) and pedimented
entry. Cill bands, cornice and blocking course. Single storey wings of 4 windows
(2 windows in arched recesses to small blocks at either end). Balustraded parapets
throughout. Behind the single-storey wings are 2 storey blocks each 3 windows wide.

Garden front: Two storeys and tall rusticated basement with round-headed windows
2-3-2 and central pediment. Later balustrade and tall leaded mansard. Side wings,
set back, have 5 windows. Cornice and blocking course. Outer attached pavilions are
single-storey with basement, and have 3 tall round-headed windows, cornice and pediment
Interior of house recast by Shaw and after 1897 by others, but much original
decoration survives. Landscaped park with fine cedar tree.

Listing NGR: TQ3636963609

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.