Description: Old Palace School (Croydon Palace)
Date Listed: 29 January 1951
English Heritage Building ID: 201229
OS Grid Reference: TQ3197065392
OS Grid Coordinates: 531970, 165392
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3723, -0.1054
There is also a scheduled monument, St John the Baptist's Church gateway, Howley Road, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
In the entry for OLD PALACE ROAD
Old Palace School
The previous listing date shall be amended to read 29.1.51
5009 OLD PALACE ROAD
Old Palace School
TQ 36 NW 2/46 20.5.54
Largely C15 and C16 group of buildings, formerly the palace of the Archbishops of
Canterbury. C15 Great Hall ascribed to Archbishop Stafford (d 1452), with late C14
2 storey porch with vaulted ceiling to lower chamber. Hall interior has rich C16 timber
roof with 2 tiers of collar beams with moulded arch-braces to lower collars; the
braces rest on wall-shafts supported by fine heraldic corbels, later tie-bemas.
Three-light stone mullioned windows with 4-centred heads, continuous moulded stone
cill beneath windows on both sides. West of the Hall are the state appartments, which
include the first floor "Guard Room", now the school library. The room is ascribed
to Archbishop Arundel (1353-1414) and has a depressed arch-braced roof with plaster
ceiling to shape and late C14 carved stone corbels supporting the principal collar-beams.
Fine 4-light canted mullioned and transomed bay window, fireplace with damaged
bolection-moulded surround and late C17 overmantel with segmental pediment signs of
earlier overmantel beneath. Gallery at west with re-set Laudian altar rail, the room
behind the gallery contains some exposed C16 or C17 panelling and an oak ceiling with
elaborate roll-moulded joists. Two fine staircases of heavy early C17 type with
balustrades and newel-posts with ball tops.
Chapel divided into 4 bays. Five windows a side with flat heads, and of 5 lights
with 4-centred heads. Seven-light east window with a shallow triangular head.
Depressed tie-beam roof with ribbed and panelled timber ceiling. Fixed stalls to
walls with fine C17 bench-ends and panelling to walls continued across western
portion of chapel openwork screen with double doors. Elaborate corner gallery with
panelled front. Old stone font from a church in Southwark. The fine altar rails
are now in the Guard Room. The exterior of the whole palace is of stone or C16 red
brick, with early stone windows or Georgian sashes. The whole building is one of
exceptional interest, both internally and externally and has many additional features
of note. (VCH, Surrey; Lysons, "Environs of London").
Listing NGR: TQ3196465395
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.