Description: Havelock Hall
Date Listed: 25 November 1987
English Heritage Building ID: 201294
OS Grid Reference: TQ3391366101
OS Grid Coordinates: 533913, 166101
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3782, -0.0772
5009 HAVELOCK ROAD
TQ 36 NW 2/100
Warehouse, former gymnasium . 1854/5 for the Hon. East India Co. Brick with
stone dressings . Pitched roof with stone coped gables with kneelers . Single
storey west front: 3 bays divided by pilaster strips . Central doorway with
colourwashed. doorcase with moulded imposts and cornice hood . To left and right,
single blind windows with rubbed brick flat arches and stone cills resting on
dentilled brick bands . Above in the gable a central C20 window, with rubbed
brick segmental arch and stone cill . South elevation of 8 bays, divided by
pilaster strips, has rubbed brick blind arcade, with rubbed brick semicircular
head window openings with stone cills resting on dentilled brick bands, one in
each bay . Original semicircular head windows now replaced with C20 ones .
North elevation similarly treated . Havelock Hall, formerly known as Addiscombe
Hall, was the gymnasium of the East India Co's Addiscombe Military Training
College, opened in 1809 .
Listing NGR: TQ3391366101
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.