Description: Spring Cottage
Date Listed: 10 May 1974
English Heritage Building ID: 201498
OS Grid Reference: TQ3377489213
OS Grid Coordinates: 533774, 189213
Latitude/Longitude: 51.5859, -0.0705
4415 TALBOT ROAD N15
No 41 (Spring Cottage)
TQ 3389 26/252
Detached house, 1857, with minor later alterations.
EXTERIOR: two-storey, three-bay, stock brick villa with a low-pitched hipped slate roof. The well-proportioned façade has a central doorway with a classical surround and modern porch and is flanked by two narrow tripartite casements with moulded architraves. The upper storey has three casement windows with margin lights, above which the eaves soffit is decorated with stucco frieze and modillions. The windows all have small consoles supporting the sills and contain newer metal frames, probably dating from the first half of the C20. The central bay and the corners advance slightly, subtly adding to the character of the façade. At the rear the alterations of the C20 are evident. These include the extension of the southernmost half of the rear with a large canted full-height bay and the addition of a conservatory. The northernmost section of the rear has a lean-to, which may be C19 and a C20 veranda.
INTERIOR: largely retains its original plan, wherein the principal rooms on each floor are accessed from the central hall/landing with its stair. There is a kitchen and a dining room to the rear of the building, which are likely to have been part of the original plan, and the upper floor arrangement has been altered slightly to allow access to the canted bay extension. The staircase survives and has a plain stick balustrade and handrail, although the newel appears to be a replacement of the first half of the C20. There are three original fireplaces, one on the ground floor and two on the first, which are in simple designs with marble surrounds. The fireplace in the southernmost reception room appears to be a later replacement. A number of the doors are also original and there is a hornless sash window to the dining room and a horned sash to the upper floor at the rear.
HISTORY: Spring Cottage was built in 1857, as recorded on a small plaque above the door. The building was so-called in reference to Spring House, a large property situated opposite the cottage which was demolished in the early years of the C20.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: Spring Cottage is listed at Grade II, for the following principal reasons
* Special architectural interest as a handsome house which combines Georgian and Victorian features in a façade of subtle quality and character;
* Brickwork of a good standard and the façade appears much as it did in 1857;
* Survival of original features inside including the stair and three marble fire surrounds;
* Historic interest as representative of the beginning of the Victorian development of Tottenham whereby the land connected with large houses was broken into small plots for sale.
Listing NGR: TQ3377889212
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.