Description: Kelmscott House
Date Listed: 17 June 1954
English Heritage Building ID: 201922
OS Grid Reference: TQ2260078325
OS Grid Coordinates: 522600, 178325
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4906, -0.2355
TQ 2278 UPPER MALL W6
17.6.54 No 26 (Kelmscott House)
Substantial house. Circa 1785. Brown brick. 3 storeys, basement and
dormers. 5 windows wide. Central entrance. Timber doorcase with Ionic
pilasters, entablature with pulvinated frieze and bracketed cornice.
Square headed sashed windows; glazing bars. Parapet. Dormers. Addition
to left of 2 storeys. 1 window wide. Interesting interior features.
Commemorative tablets to :- 1. Construction of first electric telegraph here
by Sir Francis Ronalds, 1816; 2. William Morris who lived here 1878-96;
3. George MacDonald, Poet and Novelist, who lived here 1867-1877.
Listing NGR: TQ2260078325
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.