If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Wrought Iron Railings
Ye Fox and Hounds and Mawson Arms
Date Listed: 11 July 1951
English Heritage Building ID: 202483
OS Grid Reference: TQ2162178017
OS Grid Coordinates: 521621, 178017
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4880, -0.2497
CHISWICK LANE W4
TQ 2177 NE 1/150 11.7.51 No 110 (Ye Fox and
Hounds and Mawson Arms)
TQ 2178 SE 2/150 11.7.51 Nos 112 to 118 (even)
Wrought iron railings
II to nos 112 to 118 (even)
the Grade shall be amended to read Grade II* (star); the address shall
be amended to read "Nos 110-118 (no 110, Fox and Hounds Public House),
Mawson's Row, attached railings to nos 112-118"; the desciption shall
be amended to read as follows:
Terrace of 5 town-houses. c 1715, built for Thomas
Mawson, founder of Fuller's Brewery. No 110 converted to a
public house c 1897 and with later alterations. Brown brick with
red brick dressings and rubbed brick bands at 1st and 2nd floor
levels. Slated mansard roofs with dormers and tall brick chimney
stacks. 3 storeys, attics and basements. 3 windows each.No 110,
2 windows. Nos 112-118 form a symmetrical composition, the 2
centre houses (Nos 114 & 116) having mirrored plans with their
doors set side by side to form the central feature. Fenestration
grouping makes these 2 houses appear as one. No 110 does not
relate to the symmetry and has a return front of almost equal
importance. Rubbed brick round-arched entrances, probably early
C19 replacements, with radial fanlights and C20 doors of C18 design.
Sashes are early C20 replacements of probably early C19 sashes,
in original flush boxes. Some original 6-pane sashes with thick,
ovolo-moulded glazing bars survive at basement level. No 110
ground floor rebuilt late C20 with large window having glazing
bars & panelled apron. Interiors, contrary to early C18
practice, appear to have been fitted out under the control of one
man. All have original dog-leg stairs with barley twist
balusters and square section newels and considerable quantities
of square panelling, original cornices, doors and fireplaces.
Some wide original floor boards. Nos 112 & 114 have interesting
mid C19 alterations. The basements are of particular interest
being virtually intact. No 112 includes C19 dresser, original
door to stair, C19 plate shelf, good (later) door to area with
iron reinforcing straps and simple panelled pantry. No 114
includes original fire surround, original sash window,
substantial remains of a dresser, china cupboard with 3 curved
shelves and doors and door to stairwell with hinges and thumb
lock. No 116 includes original dresser, 2 panel cupboard door
with ventilation grille, substantial remains of china cupboard,
one and a half original sash windows. No 118 includes original
dresser, sash windows with security device, door to area,
cupboard with grille. All contain interesting original
ironworks, ie hinges, bolts, bars and other security devices.
Attached cast iron railings, to Nos 112-118 areas. No 110 was
lived in from 1716-19 by Alexander Pope at which time he
translated and published the Iliad and published his first
collected works. The garden house (qv) may have been design for
him. c1897 the brewery converted the ground floor into a public
house known as the "Fox and Hounds" and also the "Mawson Arms".
These houses are a fine and unusual survival of early C18
architecture and interiors.
1. CHISWICK LANE W4
4419 (Mawson Row)
TQ 2177 NE 1/150 11.7.51. No 110 (Ye Fox and
Hounds and Mawson Arms)
TQ 2178 SE 2/150 11.7.51. Nos 112 to 118 (even)
Wrough Iron Railings
to Nos 112 to
Good terrace of mid C18 houses.
No 110 - reputedly built circa 1760 as a residence for Bishop Mawson of
Ely, has C19 public house front on ground floor and 2 C19 1st floor windows.
Interior - original staircase. NMR, RCHM. Brown brick with red dressings.
3-storeys, basement and attic, 3 windows each, double-hung sashes in architraves
with rubbed flat arches. Round-headed doorways, fanlights. Bands at floor
levels, parapet, mansard slate roof, 1 dormer each. Wrought iron railings.
Listing NGR: TQ2162178017
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.