British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Nicholas and Attached Walls, Hounslow

Description: Church of St Nicholas and Attached Walls

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 11 July 1951
English Heritage Building ID: 202523

OS Grid Reference: TQ2156977784
OS Grid Coordinates: 521569, 177784
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4860, -0.2505

Location: 20 Church Street, Hounslow, Greater London W4 2PD

Locality: Hounslow
County: Greater London
Country: England
Postcode: W4 2PD

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Listing Text

In the entry for;

(west side)
Church of St Nicholas

shall be amended to read:
(west side)
TQ 2177 NE 1/240 11.7.51 Church of St Nicholas
and attached walls
(formerly listed as
Church of St Nicholas)

Anglican parish church. West tower built for William Bordall, vicar from 1416 to
1435; rest of church rebuilt 1882-4 for John Loughborough Pearson. Squared and
coursed Kentish Rag with ashlar dressings; stone-coped and gabled copper roof.
Plan of chancel flanked by north vestry and south chapel, with aisled nave and west
tower. Perpendicular style. Chancel: 5-light Geometrical-style east window, above
1914-18 war memorial depicting a carving of the Crucifixion; 2-light Geometrical-
style window and 2 similar lights, to north; 3-light Perpendicular-style windows
to vestry. Four-bay north and south aisle elevations have Perpendicular-style
fenestration, canted stair turret to each side and string course with gargoyles
beneath ashlar castellated parapet with trefoiled blind arches. Plain pointed-
arched door next to Tudor-arched window to east end of north aisle, and Decorated-
style doorway with flowing tracery to hood to east end of south aisle. Decorated-
style doorway with engaged shafts to north porch, which has wrought-iron gates and
panelled inner doors set in similar doorway with rosettes to architrave.
'Porte-cochère' to south has flaming-tracery hoods to 3 similar Decorated-style
doorways and vaulted interior. C15 west tower of 3 stages with angle buttresses
and string courses; late C19 Perpendicular-style west doorway ; C15 hoodmould over
late C19 3-light Perpendicular-style window above; lancet windows to second floor
and label moulds over Tudor-arched belfry windows; castellated parapet and canted
stair turret. Interior: Chancel has trefoiled rere-arches with engaged shafts;
Minton tile floor; alabaster reredos by Pearson; brass Gothic-style communion rail;
corbels with engaged shafts support ribbed barrel-vaulted ceiling; carved Gothic-
style benches; chancel is flanked by finely carved Perpendicular-style screens with
cusped open tracery and foliate friezes. Perpendicular-style arch with engaged
shafts to organ chamber, which has fine organ case by Timothy Russell, 1826 (removed
from Holy Trinity, Cloudesley Square, Islington). Three-bay Perpendicular-style
arcade to South Chapel: this chapel has late C19 benches, Gothic-style communion
rail and reredos depicting The Last Supper; 2-bay king-post roof with cusped tracery
to spandrels and cusped windbraces; finely-carved Perpendicular-style screen with
cusped open tracery and carved foliate friezes. Nave has 4-bay Perpendicular-style
arcades, 4-bay king-post roofs in aisles (similar to south chapel roof) and 4-bay
crown-post roof to central nave; carved wooden Perpendicular-style pulpit, fine
brass eagle lectern dated 1881 and late C19 benches with carved ends. Tall C15
archway with engaged shafts to west tower. Memorials: South Chapel has wall tablet
to Ralph Wenwood, d. 1799, in swag surround; urn set on simple wall tablet to
Charlotte, Duchess of Somerset, d. 1773; very fine monument to Sir William Chaloner,
d. 1615, and his two wives, d. 1603 and 1615, has heraldic achievement set over
baldachino, its curtains held open by flanking figures, with kneeling figures of
Sir William and wife at prayer. Chancel has brass to Mary Litcott, d. 1599. South
Aisle has 3 early C19 tablets and sarcophagus-type memorial to Thomas Bentley,
d. 1780, the partner to potter Josiah Wedgwood. North aisle has early/mid C19
wall tablets, including one with mourning angel leaning on urn. Early C19 wall
tablets and early C18 architectural monument at west end of nave. West tower:
C18-C19 wall tablets; memorial to Richard Taylor, d. 1698, with urn set on tassel-
lated swag surround held by cherubs; memorial,to Richard Taylor, d. 1716, set in
Corinthian aedicule with heraldic cartouche flanked by figures of Father Time and
Angel of Death; memorial to Charles Holland the actor, d. 1769, with bust set on
obelisk and epitaph by Daniel Garrick; memorial to James Howard, d. 1669, has
flaming urn set on ionic aedicule with pulvinated inscription panel; memorial to
Thomas Plucknett, d. 1721, has broken segmental pediment with Ionic aedicule;
memorial to John Taylor, d. 1729, has open pediment with heraldic achievement in
tympanum over Ionic aedicule; tablet with medallion portrait of Thomas Tomkins,
d. 1816; pedimented wall tablet to Charles Barnevett, d. 1695; rectangular fluted
tablet to John Beckwith, d. 1815. Stained glass: is late C19 and by Clayton and
Bell, and east window of south chapel has glass from clerestory of Cologne Cathedral.
Subsidiary features: C19 squared and coursed limestone walls attached to east end
of church, with overthrow arches over 2 wrought-iron gates. Inscription panel
records that wall was rebuilt in 1831 and rebuilt in 1884; reset C17 tablet records
that first wall on site was built in 1623 at the charge of Lord Francis Russell,
Earl of Bedford. History: H S Goodhart-Rendel has described the church as 'one
of the best churches imaginable of its type in rich refined Perpendicular.'
(A Quiney, John Loughborough Pearson, 1979, pp 246-7; National Monuments Record;


(West Side)

Church of St Nicholas
TQ 2177 NE 1/240 11.7.51.


C15 tower, otherwise modern. Main body of church 1884. Architect:
J L Pearson. Embodies stone and glass of windows by Clayton and Bell from
former chancel by W Burges; South East Chapel by W D Caroe. Churchyard
contains tombs of Hogarth, William Kent, Whistler and Charles Whittingham.
Monument to Ugo Foscolo. RCHM. NMR.

Listing NGR: TQ2156977784

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.