British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Gunnersbury Park House Large Mansion, Hounslow

Description: Gunnersbury Park House Large Mansion

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 21 May 1973
English Heritage Building ID: 202557

OS Grid Reference: TQ1904079238
OS Grid Coordinates: 519040, 179238
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4996, -0.2864

Location: B4491, Hounslow, Greater London W3 8LQ

Locality: Hounslow
County: Greater London
Country: England
Postcode: W3 8LQ

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Listing Text

In the entry for:


Gunnersbury Park House
- Large Mansion

The description and grade shall be amended to read:

GV Grade II*

Country house, now museum. 1801-28 by and for Alexander Copland; remodelled
1836 by Sydney Smirke for Nathan Rothschild. Stucco over brick; slate roofs;
stuccoed brick stacks. Plan has service area to right of main body of house,
centred around entrance hall and rear ante-room. Italianate style. 3 storeys;
symmetrical 7-window range of 2:3:2 fenestration with rusticated quoine to
slightly-projecting outer bays, heavy moulded string course to second storey
and moulded cornice to parapet. Paired Tuscan columns in antis to porte-cochere
with Tuscan pilasters flanking panelled door and windows to each side. 8-pane
ground-floor sashes set in raised architraves with floating cornices; semi-
circular arched 8-pane first-floor sashes have moulded architraves continued
as moulded impost courses; 6-pane square-headed second-floor sashes. Left-
hand side elevation has mid C19 semi-circular bay window front and 2-storey
semi-circular bay to rear. Similar rear (garden) elevation has central 3-
storey, 5-window range flanked by projecting 2-storey, 3-window range blocks
with central second-floor string course continued as cornices beneath parapets
of outer blocks: ground-floor French windows of central range are recessed
behind screen of Tuscan columns and entablature; quoined outer blocks have-
2-light first-floor and ground-floor French windows set in slightly-projecting
bays with channelled rustication to first floor and Tuscan columns to ground
floor. Service range to right, of 2 to 3 storeys, has 6 to 12-paned horned
sashes, and doorway framed by Tuscan pilasters and entablature to right of
still room, now porch, of 1905; mid C18 semi-circular arched archway to right,
built of rusticated flint with Portland stone imposts, keystone and coping
surmounted by ball finials; one-storey garden elevation to rear, with central
concave recess and semi-circular arched niches and moulded parapets. Interior:
fine range of rooms by Smirke, mostly in C18 French style, with panelled doors
set in raised architraves with bracketed cornices and shutters. Entrance hall
has open-well staircase with foliate wrought-iron balustrade, garlanded
quilloche frieze beneath moulded enriched cornice and foliate ceiling boss.
Former parlour to left has marble fireplace and moulded cornice, and anthemion
cornice in anteroom to rear. Former library to right has marble fireplace
with claw feet to paired reeded columns. Former vestibule to rear of entrance
hall has narrow end bays defined by fluted pilasters to segmental arches,
framing domed star-spangled ceiling with bay-leaf laurels and spandrels. Former
music room, to rear left, has eagle-brackets to semi-circular arched tympanum
with Rothschild arms surmounting doorway, bracketed foliate cornices over two
doorways flanking festooned marble fireplace with putti and angled console
brackets; fine plasterwork to ceiling, with naturalistic fruit, foliage etc,
to ribs dividing panels. Former drawing room, to right of ante-room, has Ionic
scagliola columns separating narrow end bays; fireplace and tall overmantle
mirror framed by scagliola columns with gilt bay-leaf pulvinated frieze to
stele-type swan-necked pediment with antefixae; coved cornice to star-spangled
ceiling with oval painting of The Four Seasons by Edmond Thomas Parris. Former
dining room to far right has bolection-panelled walls with antheniae to concave
corners; cartouche flanked by palm fronds set in tympanum of pedimented doorway;
blocked fireplace set in recessed bay framed by scagliola columns with gilt
Corinthian capitals; foliate quilloche frieze to elaborate plasterwork ceiling
with naturalistic fruit, foliage etc to ribs dividing panels and antheniae
to central boss. First floor has moulded cornicing and marble fireplaces;
foliate wrought-iron balustrade to oval balcony over corridor to right. Service
area to right has former butler's pantry with original mid C19 cupboards and
fittings, two staircases with wood and iron balustrades and panelled doors;
kitchen to right has cast-iron range of c.1840 with trivets, smoke jack, boiler
and oven, and early (c.1850) cast-iron gas range by Timpson of Ealing; adjoining
scullery turned into kitchen in mid C19, with plainer cast-iron range. Smirke's
interiors at Gunnersbury Park House are the earliest example of French-inspired
interiors characteristic of the Rothschild family's later C19 house.


Gunnersbury Park
House - Large Mansion
TQ 1979 15/106


Built 1803 by Alex Copeland. Bought 1835 by Nathan Rothschild inhabited
by his son Lionel Nathan 1836-74. Altered by Smirke junior. Much visited
by Disraeli. Stucco country house. 2 storeys projecting wings 3-storey
centre oversailing on Roman Doric columns and entablature. 3:5:3 windows
ground floor French windows 1st floor double-hung sashes with semi-circular
arches. 2nd floor double-hung sashes. Cornice and parapet Welsh slate
roof. Left hand 2-storey. 5 window office wing right hand C19 conservatory.
Interior - lavish reception rooms servants' quarters in excellent preservation.
Now used as a Museum.

Listing NGR: TQ1904079238

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.