Description: Church of St John the Baptist
Date Listed: 30 May 1951
English Heritage Building ID: 203087
OS Grid Reference: TQ2110166235
OS Grid Coordinates: 521101, 166235
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3823, -0.2612
TQ 26 NW KINGSTON-UPON-THAMES CHURCH ROAD
Church of St John the
The church is of medieval origin with extensive C17 and C19 alterations and
additions. The medieval church was built by Walter de Merton (ob 1277), founder of
Merton College, Oxford. It comprised nave, chancel and west tower. The flint south
and east walls of the chancel survive. In 1610, the nave and tower were re-built in
red brick, laid in English bond. Stone dressed 3 light Perpendicular windows to
nave. The church was restored in 1863 by T G Jackson and 1875 Jackson added a new,
larger nave and chancel, reducing the original church to a south aisle and chapel.
The new nave and chancel are in red brick, with tiled roofs. Good 19th century
screen, pulpit, font and stained glass. Heraldic panel dated 1611 in easternmost
south aisle window. Window by Webb in north aisle.
Listing NGR: TQ2110166235
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.