Stone House, Lewisham
Description: Stone House
Date Listed: 5 July 1950
English Heritage Building ID: 203340
OS Grid Reference: TQ3726576251
OS Grid Coordinates: 537265, 176251
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4686, -0.0252
Location: Lewisham Way, Lewisham, Greater London SE4 1XF
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
In the entry for:-
LEWISHAM WAY SE8
8/D14 No 281 (Stone House)
- 5.7.50 II
The grade and the description shall be amended to read:-
GV Grade II*
Villa. c.1771-3 by George Gibson the Younger for himself. Brick core with Kentish ragstone
facing, with stone banding, window surrounds and quoins; hipped slate roof. Parapet lowered
and rear bay extended c.1930. Two storeys with set-back attic, which incorporates hidden
chimneys. Square plan at angle to road, each side five bays wide, with first floor tetrastyle
logia over built out ground floor, bow windows on returns. Ground floor entrance hall with
first-floor piano nobile. At ground floor angles stout buttresses curved out at base. All
windows with glazing bar sashes, round-headed to first floor, flat-headed to ground floor.
Road front first floor blank but for three round-headed windows in bow; four ground-floor
windows. South-east entrance front has five windows, three in centre bay, the middle one
higher. Four-panel door well set back in moulded wood architrave with cornice over.
North-west front with loggia; columns with capitals formed of leaves and florets, as also used
by Gibson in his St Mary's church, Lewisham (q.v.). Wrought-iron railings to loggia and
wrought-iron screens to heads of round-arched first-floor windows.
The interior is particularly interesting. Ground-floor entrance leads to circular vestibule,
flanked by two small square rooms, one leading to the old kitchen and pantry. Some original
shelving and latticed partitions survive; doors have been moved and rehung. Vestibule also
gives on to tight, top-lit octagonal staircase with vaulted ceiling and skylight. The sides of
the stairwell have raised panles and roundels containing, in low relief, neo-classical busts of
the Hanoverian kings. Principal flight leads to first-floor piano nobile, a secondary stair
continues to the attic bedrooms; both have wrought-iron balusters and a mahogany handrail.
Patterned stone sets to floors on ground and first floors. First floor has principal drawing
rooms: a circular space separated by open Ionic columns from two square spaces with vaulted
ceilings. Domed and fluted ceiling, with some mid-C19 decoration, but with Adamesque,
arabesque decoration to surrounding frieze late C18. Handsome marble fireplace with
cast-iron firebacks. Adjoining rooms also with good late C18 fireplaces, panelled double
doors and dadoes.
'A very personal interpretation of the villa form that had been revived by Chambers and Taylor in
the 1750s', Cherry and Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England, London South', 1983, p. 411.
4424 LEWISHAM WAY SE8
No 281 (Stone house)
TQ 3776 8/D14 5.7.50.
Late C18 house of 2 storeys and attic. Moderately low pitched, hipped
slate roof has raised attic, with stone curved parapet, in centre. Eaves
cornice. Coursed rubble masonry with with ashlar dressings, ie quoins, window
jambs and voussoirs; and 1st floor band. At ground floor angles stout
buttresses curved out at base. Segmental bows to centre of each face.
Road front 1st floor blank but for 3 round headed windows in bow; 4 ground
floor windows. South-east entrance front has 5 windows, 3 in centre bay,
the middle one higher. Round arched 1st floor, flat headed ground floor
windows, all sashes with glazing bars. 4-panel door well set back in
moulded wood architrave with cornice over. North-west front has ground
floor built out to form terrace under 1st floor tetrastyle loggia with
fancy capitals and ornamented soffit. Wrought iron railing to loggia
and wrought iron screens to heads of round arched 1st floor windows.
Listing NGR: TQ3719476292
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.