Description: Church of St John
Date Listed: 5 July 1950
English Heritage Building ID: 203403
OS Grid Reference: TQ3735976249
OS Grid Coordinates: 537359, 176249
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4685, -0.0238
779/8/D1 ST JOHN'S VALE SE8
24-OCT-05 CHURCH OF ST JOHN
Parish Church. 1854 by Philip Hardwick, with 1980s interior alterations. Snecked, random Kentish Rag with freestone dresssings. Decorated Gothic style.
EXTERIOR: South-west tower of 3 stages with angled buttresses and stone broach spire, deep moulded door on clustered colonnettes to base. Tall nave with Decorated west window and lower aisle, combined altogether in a pleasing massing arrangement. Side elevations and the East end have similar Decorated tracery of quality. Single window inserted in north west wall in late-C20.
INTERIOR: Nave of 4 bays with additional short bay to West, the western three bays enclosed at first floor level in the 1980s to provide an upstairs meeting room, this now lit by the West window in its entirety, and with the common rafter and collar roof structure exposed. High arcade on round piers, the eastern two bays remaining full height, and the other piers visible below the meeting room. High Chancel arch to Chancel of two bays. Gallery at West End that formerly held organ, now moved to North Chancel aisle, with Lady Chapel to South Chancel Aisle. Later galleries over North and South aisles. Decorated carved stone reredos. Original pews to nave, and Oak choir stalls. Metal stairs to north and south of west end, as well as late-C20 doors to lobby and store room at west end, where World War I memorial plaque. Stone winder stair in bell tower leads to small room, panelled with hand painted commemorative boards of the peals from 1875 through the 1920s. Monument of 1868 to Allan by M. Noble has angel with a cross.
HISTORICAL NOTE: Church built with money donated by Miss Angela (later Baroness Burdett Coutts).
A fine early-Victorian Church by the important architect Philip Hardwick built with money from the notable philanthropist, Baroness Burdett Coutts. It survives well, except for late-C20 enclosure of the three western bays of the nave that has affected the internal space. Contributing to the special interest are the massing of West end with a prominent tower with broach spire, Decorated tracery with some fine Victorian glass, a delightful bell-tower room, and other internal fittings.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.