If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Crosby Hall
Date Listed: 24 June 1954
English Heritage Building ID: 203744
OS Grid Reference: TQ2699177560
OS Grid Coordinates: 526991, 177560
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4827, -0.1725
In the entry for:
TQ 2677 NE CHEYNE WALK SW3
24.6.54 Crosby Hall
Great Hall and hall of residence. Principal architectural features from the Great Hall, the only surviving part of the mansion of Crosby Hall, built in 1466 by the wool merchant John Crosby in Bishopsgate in the City of London, but re-erected in Chelsea under the supervision of Walter Godfrey in 1909-10 because the original site was redeveloped. The roof of the Great Hall, the oriel window and other windows with some walling between, a fireplace and postern door are all original features. The remainder of the building is by Walter Godfrey c1910, who also added a north wing in 1925-6 as a hall of residence for the British Federation of University Women. East wing comprizes Great Hall over undercroft, now of Portland stone (originally Reigate Stone) with windows of Bath stone and tiled roof with central octagonal stone louvre. Moulded stone coping and parapet. Upper part of west elevations has 6 C15 arched double cinquefoil headed light windows connected by drip moulding with some traces of Reigate stone in-between. To left is principal feature a C15 3 storey Bath stone oriel with 3 1/2 bays visible on the outside. Paired cinquefoil arched windows with crenellated
bands between lower windows. To the right is arched doorcase with hood moulding
either 1835 or 1910, with 1910 arched door with elaborate hinges and studs. Basement built out with stone terrace with railings. 2 octagonal piers and flight of stone steps. Rear elevation has to upper part 10 paired cinquefoil-headed windows with leaded lights connected by dripmoulding, the right-hand two shorter than the others. 4 3-light windows to basement. Attached to south is 1950s building not of special interest. To north is Walter Godfrey's 1924-5 addition of brick with tiled roof 4 storeys and attics 5 windows and 2 windows to Danvers Street front. Mainly 3 or 4 light mullions but 5 light bay to left with mullioned and transomed windows to 2 lower floors and mullioned only to upper floors. Projecting gable of 5 storeys 2 windows to left. Arched doorcase
to ground floor with, in spandrels, JC 1466 and TM 1593, flanked by sidelights.
Interior of 1924-5 extension has plastered ceilings, original fireplaces and staircase with iron handrails. Outside Great Hall is late C15 2 centred stone opening with blank spandrels which was originally a postern door for informal access by the Crosby family into the courtyard of the mansion. C15 stone arched doorcase with roll moulding and black spandrels leading into Great Hall 21 x 8 metres. On east wall is C15 fireplace, 4 centred arched with one section of arch renewed and foliated carving to spandrels. On west wall is very fine C15 pentangular bay with cinquefoil headed lights and lierne vaulting. The central boss has Sir John Crosby's crest in the centre and the helmet of an esquire surrounded by smaller bosses. Superlative late C15 roof of arch-braced type
of oak and chestnut repainted in 1966, 8 x 4 bays. 4 centred arches in all directions, and interstices filled by ribs, rafters and bosses. The arches terminate in octagonal pendants and octagonal stone corbels to the walls. The arches have cutaway trefoil decoration. Above the windows are bands of quatrefoil decoration with crenellations above. 1st floor gallery to south by Walter Golftey has 6 roll-moulded panels and wooden balustrading. Crosby Hall had an interesting history. Built in 1466 by Sir John Crosby, it was occupied by Richard Duke of Gloucester in 1483. In 1523-4 Thomas More was a tenant and in 1547 William Roper, his son in law, took a lease. Sir Walter Raleigh had lodgings there in 1601. Between 1609 and 1671 it was owned by the Earl of Northampton but from 1621-38 it has the Headquarters of the East India Company. After a disastrous fire in 1672 when only the Great Hall and Parlour wing of the mansion survived, it became first a Presbyterian Meeting House and then a warehouse with an inserted floor. This is the only example of a mediaevel City merchant house which survives in London, albeit fragmentary and not on its original site.
[See "Crosby Hall and its re-erection" by W Emil Godfrey in transactions of the Ancient Monuments Society Vol 26 (182-3)]
Listing NGR: TQ2699177560
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.