Description: Church of St Andrew
Date Listed: 14 July 1955
English Heritage Building ID: 204269
OS Grid Reference: TQ3015670166
OS Grid Coordinates: 530156, 170166
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4156, -0.1297
GUILDERSFIELD ROAD SW16
1. (south side)
Church of St Andrew
TQ 3070 39/430 14.7.55
1886 by George and Peto. Advanced design for its date. Tall nave with high
clerestory. Shorter, low aisles each with 3 outward-facing, shallow gable ends.
West porch, with battlemented parapet, to baptistery projection. Very tall,
narrow north transept which has octagonal east turret with crocketed spire.
Red brick with pale terra-cotta dressings and tiled roofs. Late Perpendicular
style with panelled window tracery. Short chancel continuous with nave. Interior
has 4-bay nave. Red brick with pinkish terra-cotta dressings, terra-cotta font
before mosaic panel in baptistery. Hammer beam nave roof with curved braces
and crown posts. Arch-braced embattled beams divide coupled-rafter aisle roof
sections. Chancel walls of patterned terra-cotta tiles and brick. Marble and
mosaic reredos 1902. Very good woodwork throughout, and all craftmanship of
Listing NGR: TQ3015670166
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.