Description: Church of St Mark
Date Listed: 19 October 1951
English Heritage Building ID: 204334
OS Grid Reference: TQ3120677520
OS Grid Coordinates: 531206, 177520
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4814, -0.1119
KENNINGTON PARK ROAD SE11
1. (east side)
Church of St Mark
TQ 3177 8/240 19.10.51
1822-24 built by D R Roper to the design of A B Clayton. Greek revival church
of sandstone with Portland stone tetrastyle Doric porch in antis, up 8 steps.
Above the pediment a square tower bearing octagonal drum and open round Ionic
stage with cupola; the whole decorated with acroteria. Single entrance, under
small window, to narthex. Church splays out beyond to hold aisles. Five-bay
returns with segment-headed windows on each floor. Pilaster bay divisions support
entablature. Side entrances to narthex; and crypt entrances further east. Projecting
centre at east with large window. Inside shows gallery on Doric columns round
3 sides. Aisles and galleries walled off in reconstruction after war damage;
but screen of 2 tall piers of Ionic columns before east window remains. Central
glass dome. C17 pulpit from St Michael, Wood Street.
Listing NGR: TQ3120677520
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.