Description: Lambeth Palace
Date Listed: 19 October 1951
English Heritage Building ID: 204400
OS Grid Reference: TQ3060779093
OS Grid Coordinates: 530607, 179093
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4957, -0.1199
LAMBETH PALACE ROAD SE1
1. (east side)
TQ 3079 2/585 19.10.51
Group of ecclesiastical, ceremonial, defensive and residential: buildings of varying
At north-west corner the Water or Lollards' Tower 1435, of Kentish Rag with ashlar
quoins and a brick turret; the C17 Land's Tower added in similar material (but
with some flint) to the south.
East of this the C13 chapel, Reigate stone with Purbeck dressings, and its earlier
C15 crypt with some original plaster.
To the east, the residential apartments of circa 1835 in collegiate gothic style.
South-west of these the guardroom, a circa 1835 rebuilding of a C14 building which
retains much original woodwork in the roof. West of this the courtyard, and south
of the courtyard the Great Hall (now library) 1660-63, a building of mixed styles
whose baroque elevations of red brick and Portland stone frame late-gothic windows
and whose hammer beam roof uses entirely classical decoration. To the south-west,
Morton's Gatehouse and tower of circa 1490. Red brick with blue diapering and
stone dressings. Good interior woodwork including a panelled room covered with
C17 wall paintings.
Listing NGR: TQ3059479049
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.