Description: Villa on South West Corner of St Michaels Convent (Formerly Known As Park Hill)
Date Listed: 27 March 1981
English Heritage Building ID: 204694
OS Grid Reference: TQ3103471150
OS Grid Coordinates: 531034, 171150
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4242, -0.1167
TQ 3171 STRAETHAM COMMON NORTH, SW16
963/35/333 Villa on South West corner of St
Michael's Convent (formerly
27.03.1981 Known as Park Hill)
Stucco villa of circa 1835. Two storeys and sunk basement; 5 windows on south (entrance) front. Pilasters and entablatures to both floors. Moulded architraves to sash windows with cornices over, those on ground floor console bracketed with Greek fret friezes and vermiculate aprons. Prostyle porch with paired Ionic columns, now glazed in. Classical porte-cochere added 1880. West front of 3 bays: wide central 3-window bow has screens of Ionic order on ground floor and near-Byzantine Order with square columns above; balustrading between columns and
swags over first floor windows; long ground floor casements have 2 flights of marble steps flanked by naturalistic crouching lions; patterned wrought-iron basement grille. Rich interior has original plaster cornices with many Greek or classical ornamental motifs, enriched ceilings and woodwork. Hall has screen of 2 Doric columns. Stairwell has curved staircase with cast iron patterned balustrade, screen of square columns all around first floor and top light with patterned coving and a band of figures above first floor entablature. Inner hall has pilaster bay divisions and entablature, as has main west room with an Ionic screen to the bow and carved marble fireplace.
Listing NGR: TQ3103471150
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.