Description: Methodist Church
Date Listed: 31 July 1989
English Heritage Building ID: 205208
OS Grid Reference: TQ2328469466
OS Grid Coordinates: 523284, 169466
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4108, -0.2287
The following building shall be added
TQ 26 NW
3/91 Methodist Church
Methodist church. 1914 by Withers and Meredith in Byzantine style. Red brick
with stone and tile dressings. Tiled roofs. Greek cross plan. Set forward,
paired entrances beneath dressed stone lunettes each containing sunk marble
rondel, and with semicircular arches carried on Byzantine style columns.
Panelled doors. Above, herringbone tilework panels beneath moulded stone
coping. Set back, Diocletian window beneath wide stone hood. 8 lights,
articulated by strong vertical mullions. Coloured glass. Above, gable in
herringbone brick alternating with vertical stone strips and flanked by square
brick turrets, these with recessed stone dressed niches. Flush stone bands,
moulded stone coping. Central recessed niche to gable is in similar style.
Set forward at outer angles, polygonal stair turrets with domed roofs,
alternating long and short two-light windows, with small leaded panes, beneath
semicircular heads with herringbone tiles above. Stone cills and bands.
Similar east and west faces. Octagonal roof rising to octagonal timber lantern
surmounted by dome. Interior: 5-sided gallery with panelled balustrade.
Ribbed roof rises to octagonal feature. Original seating. Organ set to rear
of choir loft. Stone stairs in turrets, rising to gallery. Attached buildings
not of special interest.
Listing NGR: TQ2328469466
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.