Description: Church of St Mary
Date Listed: 2 September 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 205285
OS Grid Reference: TQ1648973328
OS Grid Coordinates: 516489, 173328
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4470, -0.3251
5028 CHURCH STREET
Church of St Mary
TQ 1673 21/34 2.9.52
Perpendicular west tower, but body of church rebuilt to designs of John James in
Rubblestone tower of 3 stages with corner buttresses, battlemented parapet and
perpendicular tracery. Polygonal staircase turret on south-east corner. Nave and
aisles plum brick with red dressings with rubbed and gauged brickwork. Five-bay nave,
3 centre bays breaking forward under pediment. Giant order pillasters. Two-storey
elevation, with segmental windows below, round-headed above. Portland stone base.
Heavy cornice. Galleried interior supported upon timber fluted Corinthian columns.
Original wooden reredos and metal altar rails. Many good monuments including that
to Francis Parlton d. 1642 to east end of south aisle and that to William Humble
d. 1680. Alexander Pope d. 1744 also buried in the church. Monument to Challoner Ogle
by Rysbrack. Burial place of Pope, Kneller etc.
Listing NGR: TQ1648973328
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.