If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: The Pavilion
Date Listed: 2 September 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 205364
OS Grid Reference: TQ1627167534
OS Grid Coordinates: 516271, 167534
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3949, -0.3301
TQ16NE HAMPTON COURT PARK
22/7/11 The Pavilion
(Formerly listed as:
HAMPTON COURT PARK
The Pavilion and garden walls)
Bowling green pavilion, 1700-01 attributed to both Wren and Hawksmoor but not verified, for William III. Formerly one of four. Additions of 1748 for Princess Amelia, 1792 and 1811 (both demolished) for the Dukes of Gloucester and Kent, south west elevation probably mid C19; and later C19 and early C20. Red brown brick, red brick, red brick and ashlar dressings, hipped slate roof with deep moulded timber cornice, leaded parapet. Two storeys, attics and basements, three bays. Originally three by two bays with tall external stack, now square on plan with full height canted bays and later additions.
North east elevation: north east angle is part of original building. Red brown brick, alternating red brick and ashlar quoins, cyma moulded stone plinth, part reordered. Some brickwork smaller than the norm for the building. Sash window of three by six panes with thick chamfered glazing bars, in exposed box, set in former entrance, blocked brickwork below. Three- quarter round moulded red brick brick reveal, flat rubbed brick arch, stone cill. First floor sash window in exposed box, in similar opening, three by two panes also thick chamfered glazing bars, moulded timber cill..Two storey flat roofed porch. later C19, detailed to match original. Oak door of eight fielded panels. Above, three by two pane sash with moulded glazing bars. Return with tall narrow three and six light window, one to each storey. Two storey addition to left, later C19/early C20, ground floor sash of two by four panes, first floor sash of three by two panes, both with slender glazing bars. Later C19 work has moulded stone cills and stone cornice.
North west elevation. Two left hand bays are of original building, right hand bay probably mid C19 reusing original materials and closely replicating the detail of the original. Two storeys and basement. Pair of tall three by six pane sashes identical to that to north east elevation, but exposed boxes slightly different; window openings and dressings as before. Upper storey windows of three by two panes similarly detailed. Third bay blind recesses with later C20 dummy windows to match the originals. Cyma moulded plinth to early build, obscured by terrace of C19 build. Possible reuse of parts of early cornice to left.
South west elevation: two storeys attics and basement. Probably mid C19 reusing original ashlar dressings and brickwork, some of basement brickwork is C19. Three bay symmetrical facade with three storey canted bay. Cyma moulded stone plinth,continuous moulded ashlar storey band below ground floor, plain ashlar band to first floor of bay, red brick dressings to angles of bay. Basement three by three pane sashes with heavy chamfered glazing bars. Ground floor three by five pane sashes with thin chamfered glazing bars in openings copying those of the early house. Upper floor similar sashes of three by two panes. Pedimented attic dormer with pair of four paned casements. Flanking triangular terraces with retaining wall, that to right with basement entrance and oculus to right return.
South east elevation: two storeys attics and basement. Early C18 with canted bay of 1748 with later restoration, extended to south west mid C19. Alternating red brick and ashlar quoins. Bay with moulded ashlar storey band above basement and plain first floor storey band. Basement, three by three pane sashes with thick chamfered glazing bars in recessed boxes and square brick reveals. Ground floor three by five pane sashes with thick chamfered glazing bars in recessed boxes in square brick reveals, under flat red brick arches. Upper floor three by two pane sashes with similar glazing bars, boxes partly exposed, square brick reveals,flat red brick arches moulded cills. Left hand extension, three by six pane ground floor window, three by two pane above, both in openings with three quarter roll mouldings, under near flat rubbed brick arches, moulded cills. Pedimented dormer as that to south west front.
Tall brick stack, formerly external; moulded brick bands and cornice, some replaced brickwork. Deep moulded cornice; urns, resembling those on 1744 drawing, and probably original, on pedestals at angles. Iron rain water goods with crest.
Interior: two fully panelled ground floor rooms, one with angle chimneypiece, embellished cornices. Marble mantelpiece with scrolled brackets and with fireback said to depict Charles I to south west room. Panelled stair well, dog leg closed string stair with square newels some with chamfered caps, moulded rail, turned balusters. Upper floor formerly fully panelled rooms,cyma moulded cornices, one with angle chimneypiece, with good iron basket grate and later C19 surround. Similar grate to south west bedroom. Stick baluster attic stair and iron balustrade to stair to basement. Oak doors of three to six fielded panels, upper floor door with steel H hinges. Many doors with good brass door furniture, some with escutchion plates with royal cypher. Most windows with folding shutters.
G.D.Heath, The Bowling -Green Pavilions at Hampton Court, 1985
G.R.Dillamore, The Bowling Green Pavilions of Hampton Court, 1995
Country Life unpublished photos, c.1900
Listing NGR: TQ1627167534
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.