Description: Parish Church of St Mary
Date Listed: 25 October 1951
English Heritage Building ID: 205454
OS Grid Reference: TQ2084575941
OS Grid Coordinates: 520845, 175941
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4695, -0.2616
5028 HIGH STREET
Parish Church of St Mary
TQ 2075 13/3 25.10.51
Founded 1348 on a site to west of present church, which dates from 1543. The tower
is of that date. The building was enlarged in 1725 and 1845. The chancel is of 1885,
the nave and south aisle of 1906 by Sir A Blomfield. Vestry House, adjoining, of
1660-70 possibly with some earlier work.
Western tower has 4 stages with later cupola. Chequer work of stone and flint to
third storey. Tudor brick with stone dressings above. Polygonal stair turret to
north-east corner. North aisle of church brick. Rest now rubblestone, late C19 and
C20. Perpendicular style clerestory. Low pitched lead roof. Chancel lower than nave
Vestry House, adjoining north aisle towards west: a red brick building of 2 storeys.
Slate hipped roof. Two windows wide. Upper windows square headed, 2-light with timber
mullions and transom. One similar window to left below, but set in chanfered stone
recess with segmental relieving arch set in brickwork above. Right-hand lower window
retains 2 chanfered mullions.
Listing NGR: TQ2084575941
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.