Description: Church of St John the Divine
Date Listed: 10 January 1950
English Heritage Building ID: 205520
OS Grid Reference: TQ1817075282
OS Grid Coordinates: 518170, 175282
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4642, -0.3003
5028 KEW ROAD
Church of St John the Divine
TQ 1875 11/8 10.1.50
Early Gothic revival. 1831-6. Lewis Vulliamy. Chancel 1905 by Arthur Grove.
Includes carvings and lettering by Eric Gill 1905-7. Yellow brick. West end pointed
gable and low aisles with pinnacled flying buttresses to first bay of nave. Gable
topped by elaborate spired belate. Ogeed pointed window, with gable of door beneath
breaking into its lower parts. Nave has painted 2-light windows and decorated tracery.
Chancel by Arthur Grove brick with Portland stone dressings, bands of chequerwork.
Central buttress topped by crucifixion scene. Chapels to either side, with perpendicular
tracery. Chancel under separate roof from nave, with steeper pitch, division marked
Interior - single wide room with flat roof held upon tracened brackets.
Listing NGR: TQ1817075282
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.