Description: Church of Holy Trinity
Date Listed: 24 November 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 210505
OS Grid Reference: SD6444211538
OS Grid Coordinates: 364442, 411538
Latitude/Longitude: 53.5992, -2.5388
HORWICH CHURCH STREET
SD 61 SW (north side)
3/24 Church of Holy
Church. 1830-1. By F. Bedford. Chancel, 1903, by R. Knill
Freeman. Stone with slate roof. 4-bay nave continued as
porches flanking west tower; chancel with south organ loft.
Nave has Y-tracery windows between buttresses and crocked
pinnacles; cornice and parapet. Porches have north and
south entrances below windows, with label moulds. Tower has
octagonal turrets becoming angle buttresses above roof
level. 2 raised bands with cusping below. 4-centred
entrance with tracery band over and blind lancet above.
Kneeling camel crest of Ridgway family, 4-face clock and Y-
tracery louvred bell openings. Open-traceried embattled
parapet. Flanking porches have stepped lancets, the
innermost the tallest. Ornate iron railings to basement
access. Chancel is shallow, with 4-light traceried window
over 3 panels of memorial slabs, the earliest dated 1952.
Organ loft has 3-light double-chamfered-mullioned window
and entrance. 2 stones against south side of nave bear
Ridgway arms and crest, possibly from original east end.
Interior: nave has chamfered diagonal piers supporting 3
galleries and plaster rib vaults. Monument to Joseph
Ridgway died 1842, by R. Westmacott, free standing monument
with robed woman kneeling at prie dieu. Other memorials and
hatchments. South aisle stained glass window of 1874.
Chancel east window of 1927 but earlier decorative glass and
Ridgway arms in tracery head. Reredos with cresting and
canopy, 1923. At west end of nave an original box pew. In
gallery is board recording payments to church officials in
1854 and pumping handle to organ. The church was financed
largely by the Ridgway family.
Listing NGR: SD6444211538
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.