Description: Christ Church
Date Listed: 19 August 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 210542
OS Grid Reference: SD7106814211
OS Grid Coordinates: 371068, 414211
Latitude/Longitude: 53.6236, -2.4389
SOUTH TURTON BLACKBURN ROAD
SD 71 SW (west side)
5/62 Christ Church
Church. 1839-40. By E. Sharpe. Stone with smooth ashlar
dressings and slate roof. 6-bay nave with aisles and west
tower, transepts, and chancel with organ loft to south and
lean-to vestry to north. Sill courses and top cornices and
parapets with roll-moulded coping. Aisles have shallow
gabled buttresses and set back buttresses to angles. Sill
course and paired lancets with hood moulds and plain stops.
Clerestory has flat buttresses and stepped triple lancets.
Gabled porches, that to south with moulded arch and paired
2-panel doors, that to north has diagonal buttresses. Tower
has gabled setback buttresses and 2 string courses. Paired
and single lancets and louvred stepped triple lancets as
bell openings. Top corbelled parapet and 4 pinnacles.
Transepts of 2 gabled bays with angle buttresses and 2-light
windows with Geometrical tracery and head stops. Chancel
has 5 stepped lancets to east, weathered angle buttresses
and cornice. Vestry has segmental-pointed entrance head.
Interior: Nave arcades have monolithic quatrefoil piers.
Fishbone trusses to roof. West gallery on 2 cast iron
columns has trefoil arcading and stair with braced
balusters; porch beneath. 2 windows, Morris and Co. by
Burne-Jones, dated 1872 and 1895; grisaille quarries and
figures above square scenes. 2-bay arcades to transepts,
that to south a chapel. C20 altar and reredos incorporates
C15 Spanish altar piece; 3 panels with gilded dropped
tracery heads and pinnacles; scenes are: Christ before
Pilate, Deposition with Symbols of Passion and Pieta. Font
removed from Bolton Parish Church in 1952; octagonal, ogee-
arched panels to base and tracery and shields to bowl; base
of bowl has black-letter inscription recording dedication,
1845. Chancel arch on corbelled shafts. Reredos has
arched mosaic panels, altar moved forward. Stained glass
dated 1858, early Gothic Revival with much blue glass,
scenes from Life of Christ.
Listing NGR: SD7106814211
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.