Description: The Environmental Institute
Date Listed: 30 March 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 211957
OS Grid Reference: SD7878001654
OS Grid Coordinates: 378780, 401654
Latitude/Longitude: 53.5111, -2.3214
SWINTON & PENDLEBURY BOLTON ROAD
SD 70 SE
2/3 The Environmental
as St. Augustine's
Former St. Augustine's School, now offices. c.1874. By G. F.
Bodley for Edward Stanley Heywood. Brick with stone
dressings and clay tile roof. A long hall totalling 8 bays
which has a C20 mezzanine floor inserted within. Free Gothic
style. Bays 1 and 8 project as gabled wings; they have two
2-light mullion and transom windows below a carved stone
panel and coped gables with kneelers. The other bays each
have a weathered and gableted buttress and two 3-light
mullion and transom windows below a continuous hoodmould.
The steep roof has a row of C20 rooflights and an elegant
cupola bell-cote. Mullion and transom windows in the gable-
ends flank a central buttress. An arched door in the left
return has a moulded stone surround and cusped panelling
above. A wall adjoins at the rear and encloses a yard. The
rear elevation is treated similarly. Interior much altered
to facilitate conversion to offices.
Listing NGR: SD7878201653
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.