House. Late C18, originally dated 'JH 1782' on rainwater head (rainwater head no longer present). Built for John Harrop, a Dobcross clothier. Side extension built in early C19.
Reason for Listing
Woods House, No.3 Sugar Lane, Dobcross, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Regional characteristics: this substantial late-C18 vernacular house is typical of the houses forming the settlement of Dobcross, being built of local sandstone, partly laid watershot with the blocks slightly angled outwards at the top to encourage the runoff of water, a technique found in northern Pennine districts, and with graduated stone slates to the roof.
* Architectural Interest: the architecture of Woods House demonstrates 'proto-industrial' characteristics, being the house of a successful clothier, with a polite, symmetrical front elevation with sash windows and central staircase plan, whilst at the rear is a row of weaver's windows indicating that at this date cloth production was still taking place within the house.
* Group Value: the house is situated in a densely built-up area of Dobcross in the close vicinity of a number of other listed properties with similar characteristics including No.2 Church Fields and Nos 16 and 18 The Square, attached to the rear of Woods House, No.4 Church Fields, No.6 Church Fields, No.8 Church Fields, and No.12 Church Fields.
Woods House, Dobcross, was built in the later C18. When the building was originally listed at Grade II in 1986 it had a rainwater head inscribed 'JH 1782', JH referring John Harrop, a clothier who was the building's owner (the rainwater head is now missing).
The main house was of three bays with a later bay added to the right. The similar detailing suggests an early-C19 date for the extension, and both appear on the Yorkshire first edition 1:10560 Ordnance Survey map published in 1854. Also shown is the rectangular building abutting the north-west rear wall of Woods House. That building was listed in its own right in 1986 as No.2 Church Fields and Nos. 16 and 18 The Square, being described as three early-C19 cottages. Building footprints are shown more clearly on the Yorkshire first edition 1:2500 Ordnance Survey map published in 1893, including the small link block attaching the property to the building to the east, known as 10, 12 & 14 The Square.
The 1906 Yorkshire 1:2500 Ordnance Survey map shows that the central porch of the main house was added to main elevation between 1893 and 1906.
Woods House has recently been refurbished and internally divided into two properties; it was previously listed as 3 Sugar Lane, but is now known as 3A and 3B Sugar Lane. Externally a second porch has been added to the right-hand bay, missing rotten window frames replaced, damage to the upper part of the front wall repaired (previously strapped just below eaves level), repairs made to the roof and roof lights inserted; this work was undertaken with Listed Building Consent. A single-storey kitchen extension has been built to the rear.
MATERIALS: Hammer-dressed, coursed stonework, watershot to side elevation of original house, with graduated stone slate roof.
PLAN: A three-bay central-staircase plan of three storeys with attic and cellars, with a later bay added to the right. Late-C19 central porch to the main house with modern porch overlapping junction of the house and later bay.
EXTERIOR: the house and added bay have corner quoins, with an eaves cornice to the main house. The late-C19 porch has canted sides with stone lower walls and restored timber and glazed frame with door beneath a central timber pediment; obscures a central half-glazed and fielded panel door with dressed surround. Bays one and three have stepped three-light windows on each floor with flat-faced stone mullions and dressed frames and replacement two-light sashes with fixed outer lights. Bay two has sash windows on the upper floors with dressed stone frames and replacement two-light sashes. The roof has five roof-lights and gable chimney stacks. The added bay to the right has a later door and windows to the ground floor, now partially obscured by a porch of similar appearance to the main house porch. It has three-light and two-light windows to the upper floors with flat-faced mullions and dressed frames and replacement sashes and fixed lights. Roof has two roof-lights and gable chimney stack. The south-west side elevation of the main house has watershot masonry, with a blocked three-light cellar window to the left and cellar doorway with deep dressed stone lintel to the right. Above is a single-light window with dressed stone frame. The rear elevation has two extensions to the lower levels and a horizontal, six-light weavers' window high under the eaves.
INTERIOR: The late-C19 porch has geometric encaustic tiling to floor. The central staircase in the main house has a later-C19 timber balustrade with turned balusters, heavy decorative newel post with ball finial, and swept handrail rising to first-floor level. The open-well staircase rising between the first floor and attic is a modern insertion, as is the dog-leg staircase to the rear of the added bay. Fireplaces in the main house and added wing are reproduction or recent insertions. The cellar has stone slabs and stone shelving. The visible collar roof trusses in the attics have diagonal struts and iron strapping.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.