Description: Albion Congregational Church
Date Listed: 12 January 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 212686
OS Grid Reference: SJ9432699003
OS Grid Coordinates: 394326, 399003
Latitude/Longitude: 53.4877, -2.0870
ASHTON-UNDER-LYNE STAMFORD STREET EAST
SJ 99 NW (south side)
Church. 1890-95. By John Brooke. Ashlar with slate roof. Nave, aisle passages, clerestory, transepts, north-west tower and chancel flanked by organ chamber and vestry. Gothic revival in a Decorated style. 8-bay nave (5-bay aisles) with weathered plinth and weathered flying buttresses which terminate in gabled pinnacles above the coped parapet. 3-light aisle windows and tall paired 2-light transomed clerestory lights all with flat traceried head. 5-light transept windows and 7-light west and east windows all with curvilinear tracery and below raked parapets. 2-bay chancel. Elaborate fleche. 4-stage tower with set-back weathered and gableted buttresses, arched doorway, cusped lancet windows, 3-light transomed third stage window and clock-faces in front of blind arcading in the fourth stage. The spire has lucarnes and is set back behind a parapet and corner pinnacles.
INTERIOR: ashlar red sandstone facing throughout. Narthex below gallery. Moulded nave arcade on octagonal columns with foliated capitals and moulded bases. The lofty nave is roofed by trusses with angelic hammer beams which spring from carved corbels. Timberwork includes pulpit with sounding board, pews, stalls, organ case and chancel panelling. Stained glass transepts and east window by Morris and Co. Organ of 1894 by T. C. Lewis, rebuilt 1954. Reredos is a tiled memorial to both World Wars first installed 1921 by Pilkingtons. Memorial plaques to Hugh and Betsy Mason.
Listing NGR: SJ9432699003
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.